Integration by Parts: Evaluate ∫ 1 ÷ (16 + x2) dx

In summary: I'm just not getting itIn summary, the conversation involves a problem of using integration by parts to evaluate the integral of 1/(16+x^2). The conversation explores different approaches to solving the integral, such as factoring and using simple fraction expansion. Eventually, the correct solution is obtained as 1/4 * tan^-1(x/4) + C.
Christina-

Homework Statement

Use integration by parts to evaluate the integral:
∫ 1 ÷ (16 + x2) dx

Homework Equations

∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v u' du

The Attempt at a Solution

That's the problem, I don't know how to start. How would I divide up 1/(16 + x2) into two? So there would be a value for u and v'.

Maybe this isn't so much a question of how do you solve the integral, but how do you split the above polynomial. There's also tan in the answer, but I'm not sure how to get to that.
Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem asks you to do this integral by parts?

The derivative of Arctg(x) is 1/(1 + x²) so simply factoring 1/16 then performing a change of variable y=x/4 gives the result.

It can be done by parts, but it's also interesting to do it by simple fraction expansion.

uneditable. See below.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
If I can do it either way then it must be easy :smile:

Spoiler:-

[tex] \int \frac{1}{16+x^2} => \frac {1}{16}+\frac{1}{x^2} =>\int \frac {1}{16}+x^{-2}[/tex]

This is incorrect: [tex]\frac{1}{16+x^2}\neq\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

substitute du.=arctan g(x) integrate using the sum rule and then simplify.:smile:

[tex]= \frac{1}{4}. tan^{-1}. \frac {4}{x}+C[/tex]

There is an error here, it should read: [tex]= \frac{1}{4}. tan^{-1}. \frac {x}{4}+C[/tex]

Last edited:
cristo said:
This is incorrect: [tex]\frac{1}{16+x^3}\neq\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{x^2}

There is an error here, it should read: [tex]= \frac{1}{4}. tan^{-1}. \frac {x}{4}+C[/tex]
Tell me about it. I keep trying to correct this but am getting nowhere fast. Thanks for the tex. I'll alter it so it reads correctly, my bad. I realized my mistake and have spent the last ten minutes trying to correct it bear with me.

I can't edit it any further but you should end up with

[tex]= \frac{1}{4}. tan^{-1}. \frac {x}{4}+C[/tex]

That was an hour well spent :smile: certainly learned a lot about editting :rofl:

dextercioby said:
It can be done by parts, but it's also interesting to do it by simple fraction expansion.

If I can do it either way then it must be easy :smile:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{(16+x^2)} = \frac{1}{16(1+1/16x^2)}[/tex]

It's pretty straight forward from here.

Spoiler.

[tex]\int \frac {1}{16}(1+x^2) where = \frac{1}{1+x^2}=tan^{-1}g(x)=>[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{4}. tan^{-1}. \frac {x}{4}+C [/tex]

Sorry :frown:

Last edited:

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate an integral by rewriting it as a product of two functions and then applying the integration formula.

2. How do you determine which function to differentiate and which function to integrate?

When using integration by parts, you typically choose the function that will become simpler when differentiated and the function that will become easier to integrate. This can be determined by the acronym "LIATE", which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that is higher on this list should be chosen for integration and the one lower on the list should be differentiated.

3. How do you use integration by parts to evaluate the given integral?

To evaluate the integral ∫ 1 ÷ (16 + x2) dx using integration by parts, you would first rewrite the integral as ∫ 1 * (1 / (16 + x2)) dx. Then, choose u = 1 and dv = 1 / (16 + x2) and use the formula ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du to evaluate the integral.

4. Are there any special cases when using integration by parts?

Yes, there are two special cases when using integration by parts. The first is when the integral involves trigonometric functions, in which case you may need to use the trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before applying the integration by parts formula. The second case is when the integral involves logarithmic functions, in which case you may need to use the product rule before applying the formula.

5. Can integration by parts be applied to any type of integral?

No, integration by parts can only be applied to integrals that can be written as a product of two functions. If the integral cannot be rewritten in this form, then another integration technique will need to be used.