1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts?

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    im having a bit of trouble, can anyone help me integrate arctan(1/x) using integration by parts?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's the first line

[tex] \int \arctan \frac{1}{x} {} dx =x\arctan \frac{1}{x}-\int x \frac{-\frac{1}{x^2}}{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} {} dx [/tex]
  4. Feb 15, 2007 #3
    im not really understanding how to get that line. i dont know what to assign as u and dv. the xarctan1/x is the part that confuses me because i dont see where the x comes from
  5. Feb 15, 2007 #4
    Take it to be 1* arctan(...) then your dv will be 1.
  6. Feb 15, 2007 #5
    that doesnt make any sense to me, but thankyou for trying to help. i dont know what "it" is referring to that im supposed to be taking as 1*arctan(???)
  7. Feb 15, 2007 #6
    ooooh i get it!! thank you
  8. Feb 15, 2007 #7
    im still getting stuck at xarctan(1/x)-int(-x/x^2+1)
  9. Feb 15, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you then integrate

[tex] \int \frac{x}{x^2 +1} {}dx [/tex]

10. Feb 15, 2007 #9
    I havent actually done it but if you are right up to that point then it appears that all you have to do is make a simple u substitution to solve the integral.
    [tex] \int \frac{x}{x^2 +1} {}dx [/tex]
  11. Feb 15, 2007 #10
    what is the derivative of [tex]\ln(x^2 + 1) [/tex] ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?