1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Parts

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    Hi,

[tex] J(m,n) = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^m \theta \sin^n \theta d\theta [/tex]

First of all I had to evaluate the following ( I don't know what the correct answers are but here are my calculations:

[tex] J(0,0) = [\theta]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}=\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]

[tex] J(0,1) = [-\cos \theta]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= 1 [/tex]

[tex] J(1,0) = [ \sin\theta]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= 1 [/tex]

[tex] J(1,1) = [\frac{-\cos 2\theta}{4}]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

[tex] J(m,1) = [-\frac{\cos^{m+1} \theta}{m+1}]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= \frac{1}{m+1} [/tex]

[tex] J(1,n) = [\frac{\sin^{n+1} \theta}{n+1}]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= \frac {1}{n+1} [/tex]

Next I am supposed to use integration by parts to prove that for m and n > 1

[tex] J(m,n) = \frac{m-1}{m+n} J(m-2,n) [/tex]

and

[tex] J(m,n) = \frac{n-1}{m+n} J(m,n-2) [/tex]

When I carried out integration by parts I got the following:

taking

[tex] u = \sin^{n-1} \theta [/tex]
    [tex] u' = (n-1) \sin^{n-2}\theta \cos \theta [/tex]
    [tex] v' = \cos^m \theta \sin \theta [/tex]
    [tex] v = -\frac{cos^{m+1}\theta}{m+1} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{-\sin^{n-1} \theta \cos^{m+1}\theta}{m+1} + \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{n-1}{m+1} \sin^{n-2} \theta \cos^{m+2} \theta d\theta [/tex]

the first term on the RHS equates to zero but the 2nd term is not correct: the denominator and the power to which cos is raised is wrong but I'm not sure how to fix it

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

I dunno why, but your LaTeX part is a bit messy for me. :frown:
    You are correct to the last part. So, you have shown that:
    [tex]\int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ m \theta \sin ^ n \theta d( \theta ) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {\fbox{m + 2}} \theta \sin ^ {\fbox{n - 2}} \theta d( \theta )[/tex]

Note that cos function on the RHS is to the power of m + 2, and you want to prove that:

[tex]\int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ m \theta \sin ^ n \theta d( \theta ) = \frac{n - 1}{m + n} \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {\fbox{m}} \theta \sin ^ {\fbox{n - 2}} \theta d( \theta )[/tex].

So what you should do is to split cosm + 2(x) to cosm(x)cos2(x) = cosm(1 - sin2(x)), like this:
    [tex]RHS = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {m} \theta (1 - \sin ^ 2 \theta) \sin ^ {n - 2} \theta d( \theta ) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \left( \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {m} \theta \sin ^ {n - 2} \theta d( \theta ) - \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {m} \theta \sin ^ {n} \theta d( \theta ) \right)[/tex].

So we have:

[tex]J(m, n) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \left( J(m, n - 2) - J(m, n) \right)[/tex]
    Can you go from here? :)

--------

The other can be done almost the same, except for the first step:
    Instead of choosing
    u = sinn - 1(x)
    and dv = cosm(x) sin(x) dx, we choose:
    u = cosm - 1(x)
    and dv = sinn(x) cos(x) dx.

Can you complete the two problems? :smile:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    Hey VietDao29!

Thanks for your help on this.

I assume that the rest of the answer rely's on my using the reduction formula for trigonometric integrals?

I've had a quick scoot on the web and there seems to be two main cases m+n odd or m+n even. Which uses two different formula (which does make me a little anxious as there is only one formula that we are trying to prove.)

Anyway I've included a link to the worksheet I am working from.

http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~apotapov/MATH115/trinth.pdf

Is this the correct method to solve the problem?

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4
    Hi VietDao,

I managed to figure it out.

Your hint brought me alot closer to the solution than I initially realised!

Thanks again :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?