1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Parts

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I'm trying to evaluate the integration of (e^x)cos3x dx, by using integration by parts. I've already done a couple of similar questions on integration by parts but this one seems to puzzle me.

2. Relevant equations
    The answer is supposed to be (e^x/10)*(cos3x + 3sin3x), I can't seem to get to it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've basically taken the same approach to this question as the other couple of integration by parts questions I've done but the answer is never right. I let u=cos3x and dv/dx=e^x. And basically just subbed back into the formula uv - integ.v*(du/dx).
    I suspect I may be anti-differentiating the second part wrong, which I think is (e^x)*3sin3x. I get 3e^x(3cos3x+sin3x). Any idea where I went wrong?

I'm also having trouble finding the integral of (x^2)/[2(1+x^2)]. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

Integration by parts is so much fun tht you should do it twice.

At least in this case you should.
  4. Apr 14, 2007 #3
    On the integration by parts after you integrate twice by parts look on the left and right side of the equation and see if you see anything common like:

x= y+ 3x
    just imagine that x is the original integral, when you get like terms on the right side, you can manipulate the integral to get left equal right. I hope you can see what I am saying.

On the second integral, divide and split the integral and see if it would make it easier for you to integrate
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  5. Apr 14, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yup On the second one, Add 1 and minus 1 from the numerator. Don't think its stupid, just do it! And take the factor of 1/2 out of the integral.
  6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    Oh I see. I get everything now, thanks a bunch guys. Very appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?