Integration by Parts: Solving for the Error in a Tricky Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integration by parts and provides a solution using the formula for partial integration. It also addresses a mistake in the calculation and confirms the correct result.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Integration by parts

Homework Statement

I've been staring at this for 30 minutes and can't figure out what's wrong. I end up with 1/xi instead of xi. The book says,

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}te^{-t^2/2}\sin(\xi t)dt=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2/2}\xi \cos(\xi t)dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set [itex]u=te^{-t^2/2}[/itex] and [itex]dv = \sin(\xi t)[/itex]. So I get [itex]du=e^{-t^2/2}-t^2e^{-t^2/2}[/itex] and unless I'm completely crazy, [itex]v=-\xi^{-1}\cos(\xi t)[/tex], so that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}te^{-t^2/2}\sin(\xi t)dt=te^{-t^2/2}\xi^{-1}\cos(\xi t)|_{-\infty}^{+\infty} + \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2/2}\xi^{-1}\cos(\xi t)dt - \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}t^2e^{-t^2/2}\xi^{-1}\cos(\xi t)dt = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2/2}\xi^{-1}\cos(\xi t)dt[/tex]

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex] v[/itex]?

[tex]I=-\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}(e^{-t^2/2})'\sin(\xi t)dt=-te^{-t^2/2}\sin(\xi t)|_{-\infty}^{+\infty} + \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2/2}(\sin(\xi t))'dt = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2/2}\xi\cos(\xi t)dt[/tex]

I can't entirely follow what you're doing with the u and dv. I learned partial integration as
[tex]\int_a^b f'(x) g(x) dx = - \left. f(x) g(x) \right|_a^b + \int_a^b f(x) g'(x) dx[/tex]
Applying this to
[tex]f'(t) = t e^{-t^2/2}, \qquad \implies \qquad f(t) = - e^{-t^2/2}[/tex]
and
[tex]g(t) = \sin(\xi t), \qquad \implies \qquad g'(t) = \xi \cos(\xi t)[/tex]
then gives me
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}te^{-t^2/2}\sin(\xi t)dt =
\left. e^{-t^2/2} \sin(\xi t) \right|_{-\infty}^{+\infty} +
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} -e^{-t^2/2}\xi \cos(\xi t)dt.
[/tex]
The boundary term vanishes so that gives exactly minus the result you'd like (probably a minus error on my side) but definitely a [itex]\xi[/itex] and not [itex]\xi^{-1}[/itex]. As it should be (otherwise you'd get strange results for [itex]\xi = 0[/itex]).

[edit]I should learn to type LaTeX even faster, Rainbow Child beat me by 5 whole minutes :smile:[/edit]

Last edited:
I see my mistake: the last term does not vanish. Thx!

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and using the product rule of differentiation to solve it.

When is Integration by Parts used?

Integration by Parts is typically used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a product of two functions, such as a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric function or an exponential function.

How does Integration by Parts work?

The integration by parts formula is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This means that the integral of a product of two functions can be found by taking the product of one function with the antiderivative of the other function, minus the integral of the product of the antiderivative of the first function and the derivative of the second function.

What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and du and dv are their respective differentials.

What are some tips for solving Integration by Parts problems?

Some tips for solving Integration by Parts problems include choosing u and dv strategically (typically, u should be the more complicated function and dv should be the simpler function), using integration tables or software to find the antiderivatives, and checking your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.