1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Parts

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In preparation for an exam next week, I'm solving some of the end-of-chapter questions. There are 30 questions. I've solved a few on my own, but here's one I'm getting stuck on.

Question 2)
    [tex]\int x5^x dx[/tex], problem here is I don't know how to deal with [itex]5^x[/itex].
    The correct answer should be: [tex]\frac{x}{ln5}5^x - \frac{1}{(ln5)^2}5^x + C[/tex]

To avoid spamming the forum with many threads, I'll just post in this one whenever I hit an integral I'm unsure of. For now, it's just the one above.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\int u*dv = uv - \int v*du[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might look a little easier if you write 5^x=exp(ln(5)*x). Put the exp into the dv part.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Did another one here:

Question 4)
    [tex]\int x log_{10}x dx
    = \int x \frac{ln(x)}{ln(10)} dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{ln(10)}\int xln(x) dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{ln(10)}\int D(\frac{x^2}{2})ln(x) dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{ln(10)}\left(\frac{x^2}{2} * ln(x) - \int \frac{x^2}{2} D(ln(x))dx\right)[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{ln(10)}\left(\frac{x^2}{2} * ln(x) - \int \frac{x^2}{2} * \frac{1}{x}dx\right)[/tex]
    And yeah, getting too lazy to TeX it all. Question is, when I finally get rid of all integrals, the +C will be inside the 1/ln(10) bracket. Do I write C/ln(10), or do I assume that whatever C is will already have that applied, so I just write C?

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the constant C/ln(10) is the same as the constant C' - and it isn't even necessary to distinguish between "C" and "C'".

6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    So, 5^x = exp(ln(5^x)) = exp(xln(5)) = e^(xln(5))... I see that much.
    I also know the derivative/antiderivative of e^x = e^x.
    What is the derivative/antiderivative of e^(xln(5))??

7. Mar 5, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the chain rule. The derivative of e^(a*x)=a*e^(a*x). What's the antiderivative?

8. Mar 5, 2008 #7
    e^(ax) / a, methinks... 'cause then taking the derivative of that would pull down another 'a', canceling out the division. Makes sense.

9. Mar 5, 2008 #8
    Why is [tex]\int \frac{D(1+x^2)}{1+x^2}dx = ln(1+x^2)[/tex]?

I know [itex]D(ln(x)) = 1/x[/itex], however I don't see how my book did this calculation.

10. Mar 5, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point is that [itex]\int\frac{du}{u}= ln|u|+ C[/itex], No matrer what "u" is. In this case u= 1+ x2.

11. Mar 5, 2008 #10
    It is from the more general rule that

[tex]\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}dx = ln|f(x)| + C[/tex]

which comes from the chain rule. If you think about substituting u for 1 + x2, then what is du in terms of dx?

12. Mar 5, 2008 #11
    If u = 1 + x^2, then du = 2x.
    Thanks for the ln|blah| tip! I remember being taught it, but had forgotten.

One final question for tonight.
    I'm in the middle of integrating arcsin(x), and as a segment, I need to compute the antiderivative:
    [tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex]

From looking up the answer, I see that this integral is equivalent to [itex]\sqrt{1 - x^2}[/itex]. Why would this be? I see how it can be broken up into [itex]\frac{x}{1} * (1 - x^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]. Does this help me, or am I missing another rule?

13. Mar 5, 2008 #12
    Yes, you are right, although the division by 1 is not really necessary. Think chain rule again, and see if you can separate one part of the integral as a derivative of another part, then substitute.

14. Mar 5, 2008 #13
    Derivative of the top = 1

Derivative of the bottom = [tex]-2x * (1 - x^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}*-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    = [tex]x(1 - x^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Sorry, but I still don't see it >.<;
    I see how the chain rule was used to find the derivative of the bottom, but otherwise...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?