Integration by Parts: Showing $\int x^3 e^x^2 dx = e^x^2 ( \frac{ x^2 -1}{ 2 })$

In summary, the conversation discusses using integration by parts to show that \int x^3 e^x^2 dx = e^x^2 ( \frac{ x^2 -1}{ 2 }). The participants suggest using a substitution before applying integration by parts and eventually reach a solution.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Show using integration by parts that:

[tex] \int x^3 e^x^2 dx = e^x^2 ( \frac{ x^2 -1}{ 2 }) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integration by parts obviously.

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

Let [tex] u = x^3 [/tex] and [tex] dv = e^x^2 dx [/tex]

[tex] \int x^3 e^x^2 dx = \frac{x^2 e^x^2}{ 2 } - \frac{3}{2} \int x e^x^2 dx [/tex]

Now use integration by parts again on [tex] \int x e^x^2 dx [/tex]

And I get :

[tex] \frac{e^x^2}{ 2 } - \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{x} e^x^2 dx [/tex]

This really leaves me no closer again because I have to use integration by parts again on

[tex] \int \frac{1}{x} e^x^2 dx [/tex]

Any suggestions on what to do.
Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean e^(x^2). Your superscript isn't coming out. On the first step, you can't pick dv=e^(x^2)*dx. You can't integrate that. I have no idea what you are doing after that. Try dv=x*e^(x^2)*dx and u=x^2 for a first step. When you get to xe^(x^2), don't do parts again. Do it by an easy u-substitution (the same one you used to integrate dv).

Ed Aboud said:

Homework Statement

Show using integration by parts that:

[tex] \int x^3 e^x^2 dx = e^x^2 ( \frac{ x^2 -1}{ 2 }) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integration by parts obviously.

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

Let [tex] u = x^3 [/tex] and [tex] dv = e^x^2 dx [/tex]

I don't think this is a very good choice for your [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex], because [tex]v=\int dv=\int e^{x^2} dx [/tex] is not [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex]...try a substitution of the form [itex]w=x^2[/itex] before applying integration by parts :wink:

Cool, I showed it.
Thanks for the help!

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to simplify the integration of products of functions. It involves rewriting the integral as a product of two functions and then using the product rule to solve it.

How do you apply integration by parts to this specific problem?

To apply integration by parts to the problem of showing $\int x^3 e^x^2 dx = e^x^2 ( \frac{ x^2 -1}{ 2 })$, you would first choose one function to be the "u" term and the other to be the "dv" term. In this case, you would let u = x^3 and dv = e^x^2 dx. Then, you would use the product rule to solve for du and v and plug them into the formula: $\int u dv = uv - \int v du$. Finally, you would substitute the values back into the original integral and simplify to get the final result.

What are the benefits of using integration by parts?

Integration by parts allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using other techniques. It also helps us to simplify complex integrals into more manageable parts.

Do you always need to use integration by parts to solve integrals?

No, integration by parts is just one of many techniques used in calculus to solve integrals. Depending on the problem, other methods such as substitution or partial fractions may be more effective.

Are there any limitations to integration by parts?

Yes, there are certain types of integrals that cannot be solved using integration by parts. For example, it cannot be used for integrals involving trigonometric functions or logarithms. In these cases, other techniques must be used.