1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int(sin(x)^{-1}), dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

*By Parts Formula: f(x)g(x) - [tex]\int(g(x) f'(x)) dx[/tex]

Also for d/dx sin(x)^{-1} I used 1/sqrt(1-x^{2})

3. The attempt at a solution

Just started learning this method, I tried letting f(x) = sin(x)^{-1} and g(x) = dx but nothing really simplified, can someone help with selecting the correct g(x) and f(x), Thanks

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is the function you're trying to integrate here the inverse function of sin(x)? If so, it should be denoted [tex]\arcsin(x)=\sin^{-1}(x)[/tex]

This isn't a formula, since you haven't specified what it is equal to! The formula I would use is [tex]\int v du=uv-\int udv[/tex]. Is this the formula you have been taught? If not, what is the formula you have been taught?

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    Yes, the problem is asking for the integral of arcsin(x), and also yes, that is the formula we are using, my "u's" and "v's" look a lot alike sometimes so I replaced them with f(x) and g(x), sorry about the confusion

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, so your selection was [itex]u=\sin^{-1}(x) \,\, , \,\, dv=dx[/itex], right? So, what went wrong? This is the choice that I would make!

6. Feb 11, 2009 #5
    Ok nevermind I got it now, I was working towards an answer to this problem that my 89 gave me but I typed it in wrong, I see how to to it now, the answer being:

x*arcsin(x) + sqrt(1-x^2)

Thanks for your help

7. Feb 11, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Plus a constant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook