1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{(x^2+1)^2} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, this problem is hard, so I thought to use u = x3ex2
    so du = x2ex2(3+2x2) dx
    and dv = (x2+1)-2 then v = -2(x2+1)-1 Please check v though to make sure my algebra is right.

so then using the by parts formula:
    [tex] \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{x^2+1} = \frac{x^3e^{2x}}{2(x^2+1)} - \int \frac{x^2e^{x^2}(3+2x^2)}{2(x^2 +1)} [/tex] But where do I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I wouldl start with u = x2/(x2 + 1)2 and dv = xex2. No guarantee that this will get you anywhere, but a useful strategy is to make dv the most complicated expression that you can integrate.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    Notice the fact that you have x^3 on the top. Try a u-sub with u = (1 + x^2). After that, use parts cleverly and you'll get your answer.

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is one of those cases where there are several plausible alternatives for picking the parts, but only one works. You just have to mess around. Hint: if you pick u=x^2*e^(x^2) then du=(2xe^(x^2)+2x^3e^(x^2))dx=2(1+x^2)*e^(x^2)*x*dx. Notice the (1+x^2) factor in du. You need that.

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't get that v for your choice of dv. You probably meant

[tex]\frac{(x^2+1)^{-1}}{-1}[/tex]

but that's still wrong because you would need a 2x in the in the numerator of dv.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook