Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration By Parts?

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    Integration By Parts???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    int.arctan(2x)dx

2. Relevant equations
    Integration By Parts

3. The attempt at a solution

In the attached image is the original problem with the ansewer I came up with using integration by parts and then a v=sub. later in the problem I did not want to post additional steps because it turned out to be a longer problem than I thought Just curious if someone could confirm my ansewer and if it is incorrect I will post the work to help see where I messed up. thanks a ton.

Attached Files:

• 1a.JPG
      1a.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Integration By Parts???

I differentiated your antiderivative and I didn't get arctan(2x). If you want to check your work in the future, you could try that too. You can often get a clue where you messed up by looking at that as well.

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3

thanks I will see if I can figure it out.

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

Yeah i almost got the same thing, except for the (1/4) looks like just a u-sub

Integral of arctan(2x) dx..... u=2x du=2dx dx=(1/2)du

so now we have (1/2) integ arctan(u) du

leave the (1/2) out in front as a constant and I got u*arctan(u)-ln(sqrt(1+u^2))

plug everything back in and i got x*arctan(2x)-(1/2)ln(sqrt(1+4x^2)) .... but I just used a table for arctan(u)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook