1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration By Parts?

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    Integration By Parts???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    Integration By Parts

3. The attempt at a solution

In the attached image is the original problem with the ansewer I came up with using integration by parts and then a v=sub. later in the problem I did not want to post additional steps because it turned out to be a longer problem than I thought Just curious if someone could confirm my ansewer and if it is incorrect I will post the work to help see where I messed up. thanks a ton.

Attached Files:

• 1a.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Integration By Parts???

I differentiated your antiderivative and I didn't get arctan(2x). If you want to check your work in the future, you could try that too. You can often get a clue where you messed up by looking at that as well.
  4. Mar 21, 2010 #3

thanks I will see if I can figure it out.
  5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

Yeah i almost got the same thing, except for the (1/4) looks like just a u-sub

Integral of arctan(2x) dx..... u=2x du=2dx dx=(1/2)du

so now we have (1/2) integ arctan(u) du

leave the (1/2) out in front as a constant and I got u*arctan(u)-ln(sqrt(1+u^2))

plug everything back in and i got x*arctan(2x)-(1/2)ln(sqrt(1+4x^2)) .... but I just used a table for arctan(u)
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook