1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there. I'm confused about this exercise. It asks me to solve the integral using integration by parts. And the integral is:

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did:

And derive gives me:

So I think I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. And actually in my first attempt to a solution I got something like: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}[x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})][/tex], I arrived to this result by first taking the 3 out of the integral, and passing it to the other side at the end.

Any help will be thanked.

Bye there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2010 #2
    You have the right approach but you made at least 3 silly mistakes. Your expression for "v" is off by a factor of 2 and you are off by a minus sign when you integrate sine. The final step is really silly when you factor out a 3 and get 1/3.
  4. Jun 26, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

This is incorrect. Let u= x/2. Then du= (1/2)dx so dx= 2du.
    [tex]\int cos(x/2)dx= 2\int cos(u)du= 2 sin(u)+ C= 2sin(x/2)+ C[/tex]
    If [itex]dv= cos(x/2)[/itex], then [itex]v= 2sin(x/2)[/itex], not just sin(x/2).

5. Jun 26, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook