1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration by parts

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    Integration by parts - Exponential distribution

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following definite integral:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\lambda} x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx[/tex]

I'm asked to solve this integral. The solution is [tex]\lambda[/tex], although I'm not sure how this was done.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\lambda} x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{\lambda} \int^{\infty}_{0} x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{\lambda} \left( \left[ x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} \right] ^{\infty}_{0} - \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx \right) [/tex], integration by parts.

The [tex] \left[ x e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} \right] ^{\infty}_{0} [/tex] term, by fundamental theorem of calculus is 0. Thus,

[tex]= - \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}} dx \right) [/tex],

I don't know what to do at this point, because as far as I know, taking the definite integral of this term will result in [tex]e^{-\frac{x}{\lambda}}[/tex] , which, solving for 0 and infinity will yield -1.

Where have I gone wrong?

I appreciate your input.

M

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2
    Close. You forgot the chain rule. The derivative of e^-u is -e^-u. (or antiderivative.)

4. Aug 14, 2010 #3
    Thanks whitish,

I was in the middle of editing the formula after your post. Do you mind looking at what I have posted again?

Thanks

5. Aug 15, 2010 #4
    nevermind. I see whats happening now, and i'm getting the same answer as you are. with your last integral you can just use U substitution. are you sure just lambda is the right answer?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook