Integral Calc: Integrated by Parts - Is it Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about how to correctly integrate a given integral using integration by parts. The person is unsure if their approach using [itex]\Gamma(\alpha) = u[/itex] is correct and asks for help in computing the integral.
smh
Hi
--

I want to integrate this integral and ask if my work is correct or not.
[tex]
\int^\infty_0 dx x^{\alpha-1} e^{-x} (a+bx)^{-\alpha}
[/tex]
----------
I want to integrate it by parts, so I have
[tex]
(a+bx)^{-\alpha} = v
[/tex]
[tex]
-b\alpha(a+bx)^{-\alpha-1}dx = dv
[/tex]
[tex]
x^{\alpha-1} e^{-x} dx = du
[/tex]
[tex]
\Gamma(\alpha) = u
[/tex]
----------
now the integral becomes
[tex]
\Gamma(\alpha)(a+bx)^{-\alpha}\vert\text{from 0 to}\infty + \int^\infty_0 \Gamma(\alpha) b\alpha(a+bx)^{-\alpha-1}dx = 0
[/tex]
----------
the problem is in integration by parts. Is it correct to put $$\Gamma(\alpha) = u$$. if it is not correct how can I compute this integral? please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not correct. Taking [itex]du= x^{\alpha-1} e^{-x} dx[/tex]
you want u to be the anti-derivative of that as a function of x. But [itex]\Gamma(\alpha)[itex] is the definite integral from 0 to infinity.

1. How do you know when to use the integration by parts method?

The integration by parts method is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions. It is also useful when the integrand contains a function that is easier to integrate after differentiating, such as a polynomial or exponential function.

2. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When using this method for definite integrals, you will need to evaluate the integral at the upper and lower limits and subtract the results.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫uv' = uv - ∫u'v, where u and v are the two functions being integrated, and u' and v' are their respective derivatives.

4. How do you decide which function to choose as u and which to choose as v'?

When using integration by parts, it is important to choose u and v' in a way that simplifies the integral. Generally, u should be the more complicated function and v' should be the easier function to integrate.

5. Can integration by parts be used for any type of integral?

While integration by parts is a useful method, it may not always be the best approach for every integral. In some cases, other methods such as substitution or trigonometric identities may be more effective. It is important to consider the integral and determine which method would be most efficient.