1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    ok i`m really struggling with the concept.
    I've been asked to find the indefinite integral of;

[tex] \int \frac{x^2}{(2+ x^3)} dx [/tex]

so before i beg for the answer could someone confirm that i`ve got the right rule to solve this;

[tex] \int u(x) v'(x) = [ u(x) v(x)] - \int v(x) u'(x) [/tex]

if this is right would you mind giving a suggestion to what u(x) to use?

p.s. i may have to edit this if latex doesn`t come out right I've been having trouble with it and only jointed the forum a few day's ago!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is the correct formula (it's surely in your text book), but I don't see any good reason for using integration by parts. That's a fairly standard anti-derivative: look up "arctangent".

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    I`ve just edited it. Now it`s integration by parts! see I`m getting all flustered

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4
    Actually, you still don't need integration by parts. Substituting [itex]u = x^3[/itex] will simplify it to a standard form.

Anyways, since differentiation is in some sense the inverse operation to integration, every differentiation rule yields an integration rule. I'm sure you remember the product rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(f(x) g(x)) = f^\prime (x) g(x) + g^\prime (x) f(x)[/tex]

Rearraging the equation above gives

[tex] f(x) g^\prime (x) = \left[f(x) g(x)\right]^\prime - f^\prime(x)g(x)[/tex]

And integrating both sides with respect to x gives

[tex] \int f(x) g^\prime (x) \ dx = \int \left(\frac{d}{dx} (f(x) g(x)) - f^\prime(x)g(x)\right) \ dx[/tex]

but certainly, [tex] \int \frac{d}{dx}(f(x)g(x)) \ dx = f(x)g(x)[/tex], so this just reduces to

[tex] \int f(x)g^\prime (x) \ dx = f(x)g(x) - \int g(x) f^\prime (x) \ dx[/tex]

which is what your teacher probably called the formula for integration by parts.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  6. Mar 22, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] x^{2}dx=\frac{1}{3}d(2+x^{3}) [/tex] so the integration is simple...

Daniel.

7. Mar 22, 2005 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As others have said, you don't have to use integration by parts to solve this, but .....

Pick the term whose derivative will eventually go to zero (the soonest). In this case, it's x^2. First derivative is 2x. Second derivative is 2. Third derivative is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?