1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration By Parts

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫cosx(lnsinx)dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    u=lnsinx dv=cosxdx
    du=cosx/sinx dx v=sinx

=(lnsinx)(sinx)-∫(sinx)(cosx/sinx)dx
    =(lnsinx)(sinx)-(sinx)+C

I thought that I did this correctly, but my teacher said that u should equal sinx. Why would u not equal lnsinx?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2
    If you differentiate, you get the original function, so you did it correctly. I think your teacher was saying u should equal sinx if you're doing a simple u-sub to integrate, since that method works as well. You couldn't have u be sinx for an integration by parts, since it isn't a complete term in the integrand -- it's only part of the natural log.

4. Feb 3, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did do it correctly. I think your teacher might be suggesting you do a u-substitution first and then integrate log(u) by parts. I think that's actually a little more complicated, not easier.

5. Feb 3, 2014 #4
    Ohh ok! I didn't know you could use u substitution on that one. Thanks for clearing that up :)

6. Feb 3, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do a u substitution, but then you are left with log(u), which you then need to integrate by parts. Unless you've memorized the integral of log(u). I think your way is better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted