1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by reduction

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem

Show that [tex]\int^{1}_{0}x^{m}(1-x)^{n} dx = \frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}[/tex] for all integers [tex]m, n \geq 0[/tex]

The question is under "Reduction" topic, so I assume we solve this via reduction.

2. My attempt

My attempt is as follows:

Let [tex]x = cos^{2}x[/tex]

Then we get [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int cos^{2m-1}sin^{2n-1}dx[/tex]

From here I use the reduction formula: [tex]I_{m, n} : \frac{m-1}{m+n} : m \geq 2
    [/tex] or [tex]\frac{n-1}{m+n} : n \geq 2[/tex]

It seems like I am on the right track, but it's not working out properly. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2
    don't really know how to help but...

wow. that looks like a monster problem! what hideousness of an equation that is!

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    Solve using integration by parts. You should get a redundant term or otherwise be able to simplify the problem in a few steps. The substitution method looks unnecessarily complicated here, and that too is based on integration by parts...so you'd be better off trying this problem from the basics up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?