Integration by reduction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration and reduction. The person's attempt involves using the substitution method, but it seems to be complicated. The other person suggests using integration by parts for a simpler solution.
kioria
1. The problem

Show that [tex]\int^{1}_{0}x^{m}(1-x)^{n} dx = \frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}[/tex] for all integers [tex]m, n \geq 0[/tex]

The question is under "Reduction" topic, so I assume we solve this via reduction.

2. My attempt

My attempt is as follows:

Let [tex]x = cos^{2}x[/tex]

Then we get [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int cos^{2m-1}sin^{2n-1}dx[/tex]

From here I use the reduction formula: [tex]I_{m, n} : \frac{m-1}{m+n} : m \geq 2
[/tex] or [tex]\frac{n-1}{m+n} : n \geq 2[/tex]

It seems like I am on the right track, but it's not working out properly. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
don't really know how to help but...

wow. that looks like a monster problem! what hideousness of an equation that is!

Solve using integration by parts. You should get a redundant term or otherwise be able to simplify the problem in a few steps. The substitution method looks unnecessarily complicated here, and that too is based on integration by parts...so you'd be better off trying this problem from the basics up.

1. What is integration by reduction?

Integration by reduction is a method of integration used to solve integrals that involve complicated algebraic expressions or trigonometric functions. It involves transforming the integral into a simpler form by using substitution or other techniques.

2. How do you use substitution in integration by reduction?

To use substitution, you first identify a part of the integrand that can be replaced by a single variable. This variable is then substituted into the integral, simplifying it into a new form that can be easily solved. This method is particularly useful for integrals with complicated algebraic expressions or trigonometric functions.

3. When should I use integration by reduction?

Integration by reduction is most useful when the integrand involves complicated functions that cannot be easily integrated using other methods such as u-substitution or integration by parts. It is also useful when the integral involves a mixture of algebraic and trigonometric functions.

4. What are the common techniques used in integration by reduction?

Aside from substitution, other techniques that are commonly used in integration by reduction include trigonometric identities, completing the square, and partial fraction decomposition. These techniques can help simplify the integral into a form that is easier to integrate.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals using integration by reduction?

One tip for solving integrals using integration by reduction is to carefully choose your substitution variable. It should be a part of the integrand that can be easily integrated or simplified. It is also important to be familiar with various trigonometric identities and techniques to simplify complicated expressions. Practice and familiarity with different types of integrals will also improve your proficiency in using this method.