Integration by substituition question.

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: if your ever unsure of your answer ...you can always take the derivative of your answer and see if you get the integrand.your answer is fine... you need one more step to get the text answer.
misogynisticfeminist
I'm able to do this question but my answer is different from that in the book.

[tex] \int \frac {x^3}{\sqrt{ x^2 -1}} dx [/tex]

what I did was to take the substituition [tex] u= (x^2-1)^1^/^2 [/tex]

so, [tex] x^2 -1 = u^2 [/tex]

[tex]x^2 = u^2+1 [/tex]
[tex] x= (u^2+1)^1^/^2[/tex]
[tex] x^3= (u^2+1)^3^/^2 [/tex]
[tex] dx= \frac {1}{2}(u^2+1)^-^1^/^2 (2u)du [/tex]
[tex] dx= u(u^2+1)^-^1^/^2 du [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac {x^3}{\sqrt{ x^2 -1}} dx= \int \frac {(u^2+1)^3^/^2}{u} . \frac {u}{(u^2+1)^1^/^2} du [/tex]

which simplifies to,

[tex] \int u^2+1 du [/tex]
[tex] \frac {1}{3} u^3 +u+C [/tex]
[tex] \frac {1}{3} (x^2-1)^3^/^2 + (x^2-1)^1^/^2 [/tex]

that's my final answer but the book gave,

[tex] \frac {1}{3} (x^2+2)\sqrt{x^2-1}+C [/tex]

where does my mistake lie?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure your answer is not the book's answer?

Yap,it's the same "animal".It's just the fur is a little shady...

Daniel.

if your ever unsure of your answer ...you can always take the derivative of your answer and see if you get the integrand.

your answer is fine... you need one more step to get the text answer
[tex] \frac {1}{3} (x^2-1)^3^/^2 + (x^2-1)^1^/^2 [/tex]
[tex] = (x^2-1)^1^/^2 (\frac {1}{3}(x^2-1) +1)[/tex]
[tex] = (x^2-1)^1^/^2 (\frac {1}{3}x^2-\frac {1}{3}+1)[/tex]
[tex] = (x^2-1)^1^/^2 (\frac {1}{3}x^2+\frac {2}{3})[/tex]
[tex] \frac {1}{3} (x^2+2)\sqrt{x^2-1}[/tex] :

Isn't y^(3/2) = (y)(y^(1/2)) ? Rearrange and simplify what you've got and it should come out the same.

EDIT : NM, Vincent has shown the working

MathStudent said:
if your ever unsure of your answer ...you can always take the derivative of your answer and see if you get the integrand.

hey thanks, that's a very good tip !

I am wondering if the answer which I gave is in a different form from the one in the answer script during an exam, will I be penalised?

Unless your teacher is a narrow minded s.o.b.,i don't see why.If i were u,on this integral i would have gone for another substitution,using hyperbolic sine and cosine.

Daniel.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves substituting a variable in the integral with a new variable, which allows for the integral to be rewritten in a simpler form.

2. Why is integration by substitution useful?

Integration by substitution is useful because it can be used to solve integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also allows for the integration of more complicated functions.

3. How do you know when to use integration by substitution?

You can use integration by substitution when the integral contains a function that can be rewritten in terms of another variable. This is usually indicated by the presence of a nested function or a function raised to a power.

4. What is the general process for integration by substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution involves identifying the nested or complicated function, choosing a new variable to substitute, rewriting the integral in terms of the new variable, and then solving the resulting integral using traditional integration techniques.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by substitution?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when using integration by substitution. These include forgetting to change the limits of integration, not substituting all instances of the old variable, and not simplifying the new integral after substitution.