1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by substitution

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    the problem asks for the area under the shaded region of the line y = 1/(1-x^2) on the interval [-1,1].

so far i've set up the integral showing
    \int [tex]dx/(1-x^2)[\tex]
    on the interval [-1,1]

i'm pretty sure you have to use substitution to solve it, but i cant seem to figure it out
    please show/describe each step to solve it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    I'll give you a hint. You will start with trig substitution.

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1-x^2}=\int \frac{dx}{(1+x)(1-x)}[/tex]

and do partial fractions, or you can do the trig substitution.

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    Well, to not get anyone confused, i'm taking out my calculations, cus its like 5 o clock in teh morning and i don't quite remember all the steps i was doing, so i might re attack this later , when i'm awake.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  6. Jan 26, 2008 #5

Mute

Homework Helper

That is incorrect. You made the substitution [itex]u = 1 - x^2[/itex] in the integrand, but failed to make the change [itex]dx \rightarrow -\frac{du}{2x}[/itex] (and then substituting in the expression for x in terms of u, which is multivalued on [-1,1], so we'd want to reduce the integration range to [0,1] by noting the integrand is even).

Hence, the correct integral to evaluate, using that subsitution, is

[tex]2\int_1^0 du~\frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u}}[/tex]

which really isn't much better.

7. Jan 27, 2008 #6
    Darnit, your right, i was typing that in there after figuring it out, and i knew i did something wrong, but i couldn't figure it out. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?