Integrating the Area Under a Shaded Region Using Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the area under the shaded region of the line y = 1/(1-x^2) on the interval [-1,1]. The person has set up the integral and is trying to solve it using trig substitution or partial fractions. However, they make a mistake in their calculation and later realize the correct integral to evaluate is 2\int_1^0 du~\frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u}}. They thank the expert for pointing out their mistake.
kgcollegebound
the problem asks for the area under the shaded region of the line y = 1/(1-x^2) on the interval [-1,1].

so far I've set up the integral showing
\int [tex]dx/(1-x^2)[\tex]
on the interval [-1,1]

i'm pretty sure you have to use substitution to solve it, but i can't seem to figure it out
please show/describe each step to solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a hint. You will start with trig substitution.

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{1-x^2}=\int \frac{dx}{(1+x)(1-x)}[/tex]

and do partial fractions, or you can do the trig substitution.

Well, to not get anyone confused, I'm taking out my calculations, cus its like 5 o clock in teh morning and i don't quite remember all the steps i was doing, so i might re attack this later , when I'm awake.

Last edited:
Degoncire said:
-1∫1 [ 1 / (1 - x^2) * dx ]

u = (1 - x^2)
dx = -2x

-1∫1 [ 1/u * dx ] = -1|1 [ ln(u) * dx ]

-1|1 [ -2x * ln(1 - x^2) ]

x=-1 [ 2ln(0) ]
x=1 [ -2ln(0) ]

ln(0) = infinity
[ 2ln(0) - -2ln(0) ] = +undefined or +infinity

(my knowledge does not go as far as to know what the end result is, i just know it's a positive end result.)

That is incorrect. You made the substitution [itex]u = 1 - x^2[/itex] in the integrand, but failed to make the change [itex]dx \rightarrow -\frac{du}{2x}[/itex] (and then substituting in the expression for x in terms of u, which is multivalued on [-1,1], so we'd want to reduce the integration range to [0,1] by noting the integrand is even).

Hence, the correct integral to evaluate, using that subsitution, is

[tex]2\int_1^0 du~\frac{1}{u\sqrt{1-u}}[/tex]

which really isn't much better.

Darnit, your right, i was typing that in there after figuring it out, and i knew i did something wrong, but i couldn't figure it out. Thanks a lot.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used in calculus to find the antiderivative (or integral) of a function. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is particularly useful when dealing with integrals that contain functions within functions, such as exponential, trigonometric, or logarithmic functions. It can also be used to evaluate integrals where the integrand is in the form of a product or quotient.

3. How do I choose the correct substitution for an integral?

To choose the correct substitution, look for a function within the integral that has a derivative that is also present in the integral. This will allow for the integral to be rewritten in terms of a new variable, making it easier to solve.

4. What are the steps for integration by substitution?

The steps for integration by substitution are as follows: 1) Identify the function that needs to be substituted, 2) Choose a new variable to replace the original one, 3) Rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable, 4) Evaluate the integral using standard integration techniques, 5) Substitute the original variable back into the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to integration by substitution?

There are certain integrals that cannot be solved using integration by substitution, such as those that involve irrational functions or functions with no algebraic inverse. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving integrals, and other techniques may be more suitable.