Webpage title: Solving Integrals Using Substitution Method

In summary, integration by substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves substituting a variable in the integrand with a new variable, which allows for the integral to be rewritten in a simpler form. This method is useful when the integrand contains a function within another function, such as f(g(x)), or when it contains a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric or exponential function. The substitution variable, denoted as u, should be chosen to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. The general process for integration by substitution involves four steps: identifying the substitution variable, rewriting the integrand in terms of u, replacing the differential dx with du, and then integrating
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Question is:Integrate x(2x+1)^8 dx in terms of x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how i started off:by relabeling them.
let u = 2x+1. du/dx = 2.
dx=du/2.

Also x=u-1/2.
So my terms now are: Integral (u-1/2)u^8 (du/2) <- this is where i am slightly confused i know i need to take out common term and just do i simple integration :/ can anyone hint me.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Now just multiply it out to get simple power terms.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves substituting a variable in the integrand with a new variable, which allows for the integral to be rewritten in a simpler form.

2. When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is useful when the integrand contains a function within another function, such as f(g(x)). It is also helpful when the integrand contains a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric or exponential function.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable, denoted as u, should be chosen so that it simplifies the integrand and makes it easier to integrate. It is often helpful to choose u as the inner function of the composite function in the integrand.

4. What is the general process for integration by substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution involves four steps: 1) Identify the substitution variable u, 2) Rewrite the integrand in terms of u, 3) Replace the differential dx with du in the integral, and 4) Integrate the simplified integral with respect to u and then substitute back in the original variable.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using integration by substitution?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using integration by substitution. The substitution variable u must be a continuous and differentiable function, and the integrand must also be continuous and differentiable with respect to u. Additionally, the limits of integration may need to be adjusted when making the substitution.