1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration By Substitution

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    I'm attempting to solve the following problem:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} {\frac{x arctan(x)}{(1+x^{2})^{2}}dx}[/tex]

I started with a substitution:

[tex]u=arctan(x), du=\frac{1}{(1+x^{2})}dx[/tex]

This seemed like the right thing to do, but after trying to put it together in several different ways I got nowhere. I looked at what WolframAlpha had to say. It got this after doing the same substitution:

[tex]\int_{}^{} {u sin(u)cos(u)du}[/tex]

I've gone at this for over half an hour now and I've gotten nowhere. Some insight into how this step was made would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
    What will happen if you make u=(1+x^2)^2?
  4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    I got this:

[tex]\int_{}^{} {\frac{arctan(x)}{u*4\sqrt{u}du}[/tex]
    which can be:
    [tex]\int_{}^{} {\frac{arctan(x)}{4u^{\frac{3}{2}}}du}[/tex]

It's not incredibly helpful. I see no way of dealing with that arctangent.
  5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    If u = arctan(x), what does x equal?
  6. Jun 13, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

There is still a factor of x in the numerator that is unaccounted for, so this substitution isn't feasible.
    Use integration by parts, with u = arctan(x) and dv = xdx/((1 + x^2)^2). The resulting integral can be evaluated using a trig substitution.

The original integral is improper because of the infinity as one of the limits of integration, so you will need to take a limit at some point. One way to go about this is to evaluate this integral:
    [tex]\int_0^b \frac{x~arctan(x)~dx}{(1 + x^2)^2}[/tex]

Your result of this integral will involve b, so take the limit as b goes to infinity to get your final answer.
  7. Jun 13, 2010 #6
    I'll try that solution out. I usually solve the indefinite integral first, then work out the proper solution for the definite integral with the limit.
    [tex]-\frac{arctan(x)}{2(1+x^{2})}+\frac{1}{2}\int_{}^{} {(\frac{1}{(1+x^{2})})^{2}dx}[/tex]

I don't see a trig substitution working for that integral. I'll keep working at it.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. Jun 14, 2010 #7

Homework Helper

Substitute x = tanθ, the dx = sec^2(θ)dθ

Integration becomes

Substitute [tex]cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1}{2}(1 + cos2(\theta))[/tex]

Now solve the integration.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. Jun 15, 2010 #8
    Yup, I managed to get it. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook