1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Substitution

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (i) find [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] dx in terms of X.
    (ii) Find [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] dx for X= 1, 2, 3 and 4.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    (i) [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex]dx

-x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = X

dX/dx=-2x hence -1/2 dX = xdx

so, -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] e[itex]^{x}[/itex] dx

then [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{x^{2}}[/itex] ]

Ok, here is the first problem I have encountered. For my answer, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{x^{2}}[/itex] ], this is wrong according to wolfram and my textbook. the answer should be
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] ], where there is a minus before the x[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I can not think of how to come to this!! :(

I assume substituting -x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = X is correct, as that is what i normally do with standard u-substitution problems.

Ok, second part (ii) So this problem also applies to other problems aswell with negative powers of x.
    Using the answer the textbook got, I input, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{(-1)^{2}}[/itex] ] and get -0.859. The answer should be 0.3161, and to get this I need to remove the brackets from (-1) hence[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{-1^{2}}[/itex] ]

I'm not sure if my brain is playing up and this is a stupid question, or my calculator; but I always thought you place brackets around the negative number when squaring hence -1 x -1 = 1.... rather than -1. This problem also happens with other integration problems I have gone through. Someone help me!
    Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are jumping ahead of yourself in the choice of substitution. Rather than using the upper limit X of the definite integral, instead choose u = x^2 (where x is the variable of integration).

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    Hurray I got it!!! Thank you x1000. But why do I not substitute the minus aswell, so u= -x^2? rather than just u=x^2
    Edit: Checked over it, seems like it only works if I substitute u=-x^2 not u=x^2, .....or not? Confusion! :(
    Do you know why my second part is wrong?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. Sep 11, 2011 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The substitution u = -x^2 is probably better.

I don't know why your second part is wrong because nothing of you work is shown.

6. Sep 11, 2011 #5
    Ah sorry, didn't make my workings clear. :p

(ii) Find [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{X}_{0}[/itex] xe[itex]^{-x^{2}}[/itex] dx for X= 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I will just do X=1, so I understand how to do the others on my own later.

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{(-1)^{2}}[/itex] ] and get -0.859.
    The answer should be 0.3161, and to get this I need to remove the brackets from (-1) hence[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [1 - e[itex]^{-1^{2}}[/itex] ]

Why do I not include brackets around -1? That would be -1 x 1, hence not (-1)^2 then in my calculator.

Thanks again :)

7. Sep 11, 2011 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In evaluating e^-x^2, for x = 1,2,3,4, the convention is the value of x is squared before application of the minus sign. Similarly, if you were given the polynomial f(x) = -x^2+2x-4 to evaluate at x = -1, you would calculate as follows:

f(-1) = -[(-1)^2)] + 2*(-1) - 4 = -1-2-4 = -7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook