Deriving the Formula for Integration by Parts

In summary, Bonaparte seems to be struggling with integration by parts. He has chosen particular f and g, but when he tries to integrate by parts, he gets an incorrect result. He has also tried different approaches, but he is not getting close to the correct answer. He has finally found a way to solve the problem, but he needs help to do so.
threeder
integration by parts

I'm working through Apostol's Calculus. I have attached the problem. I need to derive the formula integrating by parts.

It is not a hard problem, but I can't seem to understand how on Earth the author came up with that expression.

I take f(x) = (a^2 - x^2)^n, so f'(x)=-2nx(a^2 - x^2)^(n-1).
Take g'(x)=1, so g(x)=x.

Plug the expressions in. We get another integral which could be easily solved with integration by substitution and I get the final expression of x(a^2 - x^2)^n - (a^2 - x^2)^n which does make sense if we check it by taking derivatives of both sides.

On the other hand, if I try to take the derivative of the given expression, I don't really get the initial result. So, am I missing something or what?

EDIT: OK, I've managed to see why his expression makes sense after all. but still, do not see how could I get there. Would my initial picks of f's and g' for integration by parts allow me to get there or should I pick something else? thanks!

Attachments

• integral.bmp
    140.1 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its very hard to understand your question threeder. Please say
given expression: show your work on it
explain problem.
Or I might just have reading problems (its probably this), however I can't help you either way, so your going to be forced to explain for me to understand.

Thanks and good luck, Bonaparte

I suppose I could have framed it more clearly, sorry. What I have done is:

∫(a^2 - x^2)^n dx = [f(x) = (a^2 - x^2)^n -> f'(x)=-2nx(a^2 - x^2)^(n-1), g'(x)=1 ->g(x)=x.]

(in order to integrate by parts, I have chosen particular f and g)

After using integration by parts ( g(x)f(x) - ∫g'(x)f'(x) )we get:

x(a^2 - x^2)^n - 2n∫x(a^2 - x^2)^(n-1) dx = [ let u=a^2 - x^2, so dx=-1/2 du ]

After substituting we get

x(a^2 - x^2)^n - n∫u^(n-1) du = x(a^2 - x^2)^n - (a^2 - x^2)^n + C

So while this is correct, it does not lead to the result which is I am required to get.

What should I do differently to get the required result?

Last edited:
From your first post, it looks like you're not performing integration by parts correctly.

[itex]\int f(x)g'(x)dx=f(x)g(x)-\int f'(x)g(x)dx[/itex]

Yes, indeed I made the mistake, but it was more of a typo, as I still get the final result using the metod I described which does not lead to the final expression of:

[tex]\int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx = \frac{x (a^2 - x^2)^n}{2n + 1} + \frac{2 a^2 n}{2n+1} \int (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx + C [/tex]

Now, using the correct integration by parts formula after first division the integral to parts I arrive at:

[tex]\int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx = x(a^2 - x^2)^n + 2n \int x^2 (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx [/tex]

Now, as I mentioned before, I could substitute, but I need to do something else. I multiply the first expression on the right by [itex] \frac{2n + 1}{2n +1} [/itex] which leads to:

[tex](a^2 - x^2)^n + 2n \int (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx = \frac{x (a^2 - x^2)^n}{2n + 1} + \frac{2nx (a^2 - x^2)^n}{2n + 1} + 2n\int x^2(a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx[/tex]

and I am somewhat close. could anybody help me out? I tried multiple things like dividing expressions into integrals by parts but nothing really helped me to get where I need to. Thanks!

I tried different approach, and I think this looks more promising, but I might be making a mistake somewhere. Could anybody give me some hints?

What I tried is:

[tex]\int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx = \begin{pmatrix}
f(x)= a^2 - x^2 | f'(x)=-2x\\
g'(x)=(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} |g(x)=\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} \,dx
\end{pmatrix} = [/tex]
[tex] (a^2-x^2)\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} \,dx + 2\int x \Big(\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} \,dx \Big)\,dx
=[/tex]
[tex] (a^2-x^2)\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} \,dx +x^2\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} \,dx = a^2\int(a^2-x^2)^{n-1} \,dx [/tex]

what is wrong here?

threeder,

I've found a way to solve this that starts with trig substitution. Use the substitution x=asinθ to begin with. When you do this, you should get the following:

[itex]\int(a^{2}-x^{2})^{n}dx=a^{2n+1}\int cos^{2n+1}θdθ[/itex]

Now try to solve it from here. Notice that the problem has become an issue of finding the reduction formula for cosine, for which you can find many online guides. it involves a trig identity and integration by parts. Once you get the reduction formula, back substitute to get the answer in terms of x again, and then simplify. You should arrive at the expression given in your book.

threeder said:
Yes, indeed I made the mistake, but it was more of a typo, as I still get the final result using the metod I described which does not lead to the final expression of:
[tex]\int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx = \frac{x (a^2 - x^2)^n}{2n + 1} + \frac{2 a^2 n}{2n+1} \int (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx + C [/tex]
Now, using the correct integration by parts formula after first division the integral to parts I arrive at:
[tex]\int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx = x(a^2 - x^2)^n + 2n \int x^2 (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx [/tex]
Now, look at the integral on the right hand side.

Rewrite it as:[itex]\displaystyle \int x^2 (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\int \left((x^2-a^2)+a^2 \right)(a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int \left(a^2 (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1}-(a^2 - x^2)^n\right) \,dx[/itex]​
Split that into two integrals, & substitute back into [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx = x(a^2 - x^2)^n + 2n \int x^2 (a^2 - x^2)^{n-1} \,dx \ \ [/itex] and solve for [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int (a^2 - x^2)^n \,dx\ .[/itex]

That's a nice and simple way to do it, SammyS. Very clever.

simply - elegant. thank you!

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method of solving integrals by substituting a variable with a new variable or expression in order to simplify the integrand. This allows for the integral to be solved in a more manageable form.

Why is integration by substitution used?

Integration by substitution is used to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It allows for the integration of more complex functions by simplifying the integrand.

What is the process of integration by substitution?

The process of integration by substitution involves identifying a substitution variable, substituting it into the integral, and then solving for the new integral. This may require using the chain rule or other integration techniques.

When should integration by substitution be used?

Integration by substitution should be used when the integrand contains a function that can be simplified by substituting a new variable. This is often the case with trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

What are some tips for using integration by substitution?

Some tips for using integration by substitution include choosing the substitution variable carefully, checking for any resulting constants, and simplifying the integrand as much as possible before substituting. It is also important to practice and become familiar with different substitution techniques.