Integral that is reduced to a rational function integral

In summary, the conversation suggests the use of substitution in integrals to reduce them to rational functions. Some suggested substitutions include t = sin x and t = √(x+5). The use of the second Euler substitution is also mentioned for integrals of the form ∫√(ax^2+bx+1) dx. The idea of starting with an integral of a rational function and doing the substitution in the opposite direction is also proposed.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

Suggest an integral that is reduced to a rational function integral when this substitution is used:
##a)## ##t=\sin x##
##b)## ##t=\sqrt[6] {x+5}##
##c## ##\sqrt{1-9x^2}=-1+xt##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I found this to be a very interesting problem and wanted to check my results with you. For the first part i think that
a) ##\int \sin x\cos x \, dx## is a good idea couse when we introduce the given substitution we are left with ##\int t \, dt## which is a rational function, right?
For the second part i have some struggles but i think that
b) ##\int \frac{\sqrt[6] {(x+5)^5}}{6\sqrt[6] {x+5}} \, dx## would reduce to ##\int t \, dt##
As for the part c) that i the second Euler substitution and the integral that is suited for it should be any integral of the form c) ##\int \sqrt {ax^2+bx+1} \, dx##
How does this seem to you? Any comments? Any feedback is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way is to start with an integral of a rational function and do the substitution in the other direction ...

Orodruin said:
The easiest way is to start with an integral of a rational function and do the substitution in the other direction ...
I'm going to try that as well, could you take a look at what i came up, to make sure i got it right or wrong?

1. What is an integral that is reduced to a rational function integral?

An integral that is reduced to a rational function integral is an integral that can be simplified or written as a rational function. This means that the integral can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials.

2. How do you solve an integral that is reduced to a rational function integral?

To solve an integral that is reduced to a rational function integral, you can use the method of partial fractions. This involves breaking down the rational function into simpler fractions and then integrating each term separately.

3. Can all integrals be reduced to a rational function integral?

No, not all integrals can be reduced to a rational function integral. Some integrals involve more complex functions that cannot be expressed as a rational function. In these cases, other methods such as substitution or integration by parts may be used.

4. What is the significance of reducing an integral to a rational function integral?

Reducing an integral to a rational function integral can make it easier to solve and evaluate. Rational functions are simpler and more familiar, making it easier to apply known integration techniques. It also allows for a more precise and accurate answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral that is reduced to a rational function integral?

One common mistake when solving these types of integrals is forgetting to include all possible terms when breaking down the rational function into partial fractions. It's important to check for any repeating factors or factors with higher powers to ensure all terms are accounted for.