1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by substitution

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suggest an integral that is reduced to a rational function integral when this substitution is used:
    ##a)## ##t=\sin x##
    ##b)## ##t=\sqrt[6] {x+5}##
    ##c## ##\sqrt{1-9x^2}=-1+xt##
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I found this to be a very interesting problem and wanted to check my results with you. For the first part i think that
    a) ##\int \sin x\cos x \, dx## is a good idea couse when we introduce the given substitution we are left with ##\int t \, dt## which is a rational function, right?
    For the second part i have some struggles but i think that
    b) ##\int \frac{\sqrt[6] {(x+5)^5}}{6\sqrt[6] {x+5}} \, dx## would reduce to ##\int t \, dt##
    As for the part c) that i the second Euler substitution and the integral that is suited for it should be any integral of the form c) ##\int \sqrt {ax^2+bx+1} \, dx##
    How does this seem to you? Any comments? Any feedback is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The easiest way is to start with an integral of a rational function and do the substitution in the other direction ...

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    I'm gonna try that as well, could you take a look at what i came up, to make sure i got it right or wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted