Integration by u- substitution (involving natural logs)

In summary, the author was able to solve the homework equation u=-1+\sqrt{2x}, by substitution for C=-1. C=-1 is found by taking the derivative of both the book's and the author's answer, which results in the same answer.
lLovePhysics

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2x}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]u=1+\sqrt{2x}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2x}=u-1[/tex]

[tex]dx=(u-1)du[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get it down to:

[tex]\int (1-\frac{1}{u})du[/tex]

[tex]= u-\ln{lul}}+C[/tex]

[tex]= 1+\sqrt{2x}-\ln{l1+\sqrt{2x}l}+C[/tex]

However, my book says that the solution to the integral is:

[tex] \sqrt{2x}-\ln{l{1+\sqrt{2x}l}+C[/tex] (Without the 1 in front)

Why is this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well i got

[tex]1+\sqrt{2x}-\ln{|1+\sqrt{2x}|+C[/tex]

be careful with your re-substitution ... b/c you're "u-sub" was [tex]1+\sqrt{2x}[/tex] so you need parenthesis.

The difference between your answer and the books answer is a CONSTANT, 1. You also have a C in your answer. What does that tell you?

Dick said:
The difference between your answer and the books answer is a CONSTANT, 1. You also have a C in your answer. What does that tell you?

It means that C=-1 but how do you find that out? What points are there to substitute to obtain C?

rocophysics said:
well i got

[tex]1+\sqrt{2x}-\ln{|1+\sqrt{2x}|+C[/tex]

be careful with your re-substitution ... b/c you're "u-sub" was [tex]1+\sqrt{2x}[/tex] so you need parenthesis.

How do you put absolute value signs around an expression? I've tried typing \abs{expression} but it doesn't work.

If you click on rocophysics answer, you'll see the tex. He just used a vertical bar. The point to the C thing is that an indefinite integral is only defined up to an arbitrary constant. You can absorb the 1 into the C (as the book answer did). If you take the derivative of both answers you'll get the same thing. You are both right.

Dick said:
If you click on rocophysics answer, you'll see the tex. He just used a vertical bar. The point to the C thing is that an indefinite integral is only defined up to an arbitrary constant. You can absorb the 1 into the C (as the book answer did). If you take the derivative of both answers you'll get the same thing. You are both right.

Ohh.. so my book just sucked in all of the constants and made it an arbitrary constant C to represent all constants (including +1)?

How do you put a vertical bar? I've tried inserting the lower case L but to no avail..

lLovePhysics said:
How do you put a vertical bar? I've tried inserting the lower case L but to no avail..

It should be a key on your keyboard above enter button. SHIFT+\ = |

lLovePhysics said:
Ohh.. so my book just sucked in all of the constants and made it an arbitrary constant C to represent all constants (including +1)?

Yes, they just sucked the 1 into the C.

It's probably better to think of [tex]f(x) + C[/tex] as representing a family of functions, rather than a function with some constant. That way;

It means that C=-1 but how do you find that out? What points are there to substitute to obtain C?

instead becomes a redundant question, since f(x) + 1 + C has exactly the same members as f(x) + C.

Gib Z said:
It's probably better to think of [tex]f(x) + C[/tex] as representing a family of functions, rather than a function with some constant. That way;

instead becomes a redundant question, since f(x) + 1 + C has exactly the same members as f(x) + C.

Yeah, I think it's better to think of it as a family of functions too. Thanks

1. What is u-substitution in integration?

U-substitution is a technique used in integration to simplify an integral by making a substitution for the variable of integration. This allows for the use of simpler integration rules and makes the integration process more manageable.

2. Why is u-substitution useful when integrating functions involving natural logs?

U-substitution is particularly useful when integrating functions involving natural logs because it allows for the use of the chain rule, which is the derivative of the natural log function. This makes the integration process much simpler compared to using other integration techniques.

3. How do you choose the substitution variable u in u-substitution?

The substitution variable u should be chosen so that it simplifies the integral. This can be done by selecting the variable that appears inside the natural log function or a variable that is raised to a power. It is also important to choose a variable that will not create more complexity in the integral.

4. Can u-substitution be used for any integral involving natural logs?

U-substitution can be used for any integral involving natural logs, as long as the chosen substitution variable allows for simplification of the integral. However, there may be other integration techniques that are more efficient for certain types of integrals.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using u-substitution in integration?

U-substitution does have some limitations and restrictions. It cannot be used for integrals that involve irrational functions, such as the square root of a variable. Additionally, it may not work for integrals that involve trigonometric functions or exponential functions. It is important to carefully consider the integral before using u-substitution as a method of integration.