Integration change of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lowest order perturbation theory to determine the shift in the third level of an electron in an infinite one dimensional well. A change of variables is suggested to solve the integral needed, with the limits changing from 0-L to 0-3pi. The equation for the shift is found to be correct after substitution.
raintrek
[SOLVED] Integration change of variables

Homework Statement

An electron is confined in an infinite one dimensional well where 0 < x < L with L = 2 x 10^-10m. Use lowest order perturbation theory to determine the shift in the third level due to the perturbation:

[tex]V(x) = V_{0}\left(\frac{x}{L}\right)^{2}[/tex]

where [tex]V_{0} = 0.01eV[/tex].

After a change of variables, the following integral will be useful:

[tex]\int^{3\pi}_{0}\phi^{2}sin^{2}\phi d\phi = \frac{9}{2}\pi^{3} - \frac{3}{4}\pi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've evaluated this question into the following integral:

[tex]\Delta E_{3}^{(3)} = \frac{2}{L}\frac{V_{0}}{L^{2}}\int^{L}_{0} x^{2} sin^{2}\left(\frac{3\pi x}{L}\right) dx[/tex]

However I have no idea how to "change variables" with an integral like this, let alone how to get the limits change from 0-L to 0-3pi. Can anyone offer assistance? Many thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the change of variables they use is

[tex]\frac{3\pi x}{L} \rightarrow \phi[/tex]

So clearly as [tex]x \rightarrow L[/tex] , [tex]\phi \rightarrow 3\pi[/tex]

hmm, if that was the case, wouldn't the equation take the form

[tex]\Delta E_{3}^{(3)} = \frac{2}{L}\frac{V_0}{L^2}\frac{L^{3}}{(3\pi)^{3}}\int^{3\pi}_{0}\phi^{2}sin^{2}\phi d\phi[/tex]

(Note the L^3/... prefactor) ??

So then can't you plug in for
[tex]\int^{3\pi}_0 \phi^2 \sin^2{\phi}d\phi[/tex]
which you are given? I don't see the problem.

^ I can, I was just seeking assurance that I'd calculated that L^3 prefactor correctly after substitution...

It all looks correct... I know nothing about perturbation theory, so I can't say if the answer qualitatively makes sense with no L dependence.

Yep, that works good, thanks for your help nicksauce!

1. What is integration by change of variables?

Integration by change of variables is a method of evaluating integrals by substituting a new variable in place of the original variable. This technique can simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate the integral.

2. When should I use integration by change of variables?

Integration by change of variables is useful when the integrand involves complicated functions or expressions. It can also be used to transform the limits of integration and make the integral easier to solve.

3. How do I choose the appropriate substitution for integration by change of variables?

The substitution chosen for integration by change of variables should simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate. Some common substitutions include trigonometric functions, inverse trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

4. What are the key steps for integration by change of variables?

The key steps for integration by change of variables are: 1) Identify the appropriate substitution, 2) Rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable, 3) Compute the differential of the new variable, 4) Substitute the expression for the differential and the limits of integration, and 5) Solve the resulting integral.

5. Are there any situations where integration by change of variables cannot be applied?

Integration by change of variables may not be applicable in certain cases where the integrand cannot be simplified or transformed using a substitution. In these cases, other methods of integration, such as integration by parts or partial fraction decomposition, may be used.