1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Coneptual Question

1. Jul 3, 2006 #1
    What's the difference between dx times dy and a point? Having trouble thinking about this... it's been hurting my head, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the context of the question? "dx times dy" might be the "differential of area". It is, in any case, a differential which doesn't have anything to do with a point.
    The question seems to me to be a lot like asking "What is the difference between the number 5 and a point?":confused:

4. Jul 3, 2006 #3
    No, I mean an infinitely small change in the x direction times an infinitely small change in the y direction.

5. Jul 3, 2006 #4
    it would be an infinitely small change in the area enclosed by a curve(s) in a plane. a point is just a point.

6. Jul 3, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

A point is a geometrical object. dx dy is an algebraic object.

7. Jul 4, 2006 #6
    Hmm, could someone define a point for me... i think the problem is that I define a point as an indivisible amount of space, which is probably wrong, any help?

8. Jul 4, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A point is an element of a particular vector space (or, roughly, number system), for example R2

9. Jul 4, 2006 #8
    A point is an abstraction invented by Euclid.

dx*dy cannot be "visualized" as if it were a geometric object. Instead, visualize what one does with it, in context. Doing 2d integrals? Visualize finite partitions of a region (perhaps a grid of widths ΔxΔy), their Riemann sums under a function f, and the limiting behavior of all that. dx*dy is an informal way of saying we're looking at some limiting behavior, of finite Δx*Δy. Infinitesimals don't exist on their own - they exist with reference to some limiting process we're describing. Thus dx*dy has more mathematical meaning then just the 'point' at which it is located.

10. Jul 4, 2006 #9
    I see my problem, I was trying to apply my world to mathematics too readily, thanks for the help everyone.

11. Jul 8, 2006 #10
    I guess a point can be considered a geometric shape with n sides and area, perimeter and volume =0 like a triangle with one null angle...

12. Jul 8, 2006 #11
    LeBesgue's definition of a "point" is, as far as I am concerned, the best
    conceptualisation of this abstract object. The downside is that it requires a
    certain mathematical background. He stills manages to make the difference between
    the differential area dx*dy and a point quite clear though.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?