Integration Constant in Physics: When to Use It?

In summary, when solving a generic problem using integration, the constant of integration is necessary and can be determined from initial conditions. However, for specific situations, the constant may be equal to 0 or 1 and can be canceled out. In order to determine whether a constant is needed, it is important to understand the problem and its initial conditions.
gracy
I have not taken maths so you may find my question silly. in physics i have to deal with integration.so can you please tell me where we write integration constant and where we don't?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are solving some generic problem by integration, you put integration constant everywhere it belong to. But when you are dealing with an exact situation, you have to put for example start position, and from this information you determine your constant and you exchange the constant by exact value. Many times this initial value is defined for convenience in that way that constant is equal "0" or "1" and you can not notice a presence of it.

For example: if you want to find out velocity v(t) (dependent on time t) from acceleration (gravitational), you integrate [itex]\int g dt =gt + v_0[/itex], where [itex]v_0[/itex] is integration constant. But it is common to start that you drop stone or something (no throw). If you just let it fall initial velocity [itex]v_0=0[/itex]. And you see formula v=gt.

The short answer is - You use a constant of integration when you evaluate an indefinite integral. The constant of integration is not needed (or canceled out) whenever you use a definite integral.

Likes gracy
MarneMath said:
The short answer is - You use a constant of integration when you evaluate an indefinite integral. The constant of integration is not needed (or canceled out) whenever you use a definite integral.
Easier view :)
In the language of my example: You are interested in change of velocity between t1=0s and t2=1s. Than you integrate from 0 to 1.

MarneMath said:
OK.
K is integral constant. in indefinite integral We might have some information elsewhere in the problem that will help us to find this constant.My question is which kind of information would be given in the question so that i can figure out it should be K.

gracy said:
OK.
K is integral constant. in indefinite integral We might have some information elsewhere in the problem that will help us to find this constant.My question is which kind of information would be given in the question so that i can figure out it should be K.
It should be reasonably straightforward to determine whether the problem is asking for a definite integral or an indefinite integral.

In problems like the one in your OP, they will usually state initial conditions, such as the initial velocity and initial position.

That typically involves understanding the problem, and what your variables mean in terms of the problem, more than the mathematics used to solve the problem.

1. What is an integration constant in physics?

An integration constant in physics is a constant that is added to the solution of a differential equation during the integration process. It is necessary because the solution to a differential equation is not unique and the integration constant ensures that all possible solutions are accounted for.

2. When should I use integration constant in physics?

Integration constants are used when solving differential equations in physics. They are necessary to account for all possible solutions and ensure that the solution is valid for all values of the independent variable.

3. How do I determine the value of the integration constant?

The value of the integration constant is typically determined by applying initial or boundary conditions to the solution of the differential equation. These conditions provide specific values for the dependent variable at a certain point, which can then be used to solve for the integration constant.

4. Can I use the same integration constant for different equations?

No, the integration constant is specific to the particular differential equation being solved. Different equations may require different integration constants to account for all possible solutions.

5. What happens if I forget to include the integration constant in my solution?

If the integration constant is not included in the solution, the solution will not be valid for all values of the independent variable. This can lead to incorrect results and must be accounted for in order to accurately solve differential equations in physics.