Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration FB5 problem

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1

I have a problem in integrating the FB5 distribution. The FB5's probability density function is given by [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{c(\kappa, \beta)}\exp[\kappa \gamma_1 x +\beta[(\gamma_2 x)^2 - (\gamma_3 x)^2]][/tex]. We know that [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] represents the mean direction of the distribution and that [tex]\gamma_2[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_3[/tex] represent the major and minor axes respectively. The three columns [tex]\gamma_1[/tex], [tex]\gamma_2[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_3[/tex] form an orthogonal 3x3 matrix.

I would like to integrate this PDF and therefore I need to express its exponent in polar coordinates. I know that [tex]\gamma_1 x[/tex] can be expressed as:[tex]\gamma_1 x= \cos(\theta) \cos(\theta_o) + \sin(\theta) \sin(\theta_o) \cos(\phi - \phi_o)[/tex] since it is the vector dot product of two 3d vectors. In the above [tex]\gamma_1 = [\sin(\theta_o) \cos(\phi_o) \sin(\theta_o) \sin(\phi_o) \cos(\theta_o) ][/tex] and [tex]x= [\sin(\theta) \cos(\phi) \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi) \cos(\theta) ][/tex].

How can we express the [tex]\gamma_2 x[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_3 x[/tex] in a similar way?

Do you think that the following form would be correct? :[tex]\gamma_2 x= \cos(\theta) \cos(\theta major) + \sin(\theta) \sin(\theta major) \cos(\phi - \phi major)[/tex]...same for [tex]\gamma_3 x[/tex] ???? . However, I have read that one needs to define only one angle to specify the major and minor axes. This is very confusing to me. As a result, I am not sure if I can express [tex]\gamma_2 x[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_3 x[/tex] as stated above. Please advise!!!!!!!!

If can someone think of any other way to numerically integrate this please let me know.

Many Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted