1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration for a PDE

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    Ok this qusestion has to do with completing the square for a diffusion equation.

Initial Cond: u(x,0) = e-x

Now they say plug this into the general formula:

u(x,t) = 1/(4[itex]\pi[/itex]kt)1/2 ∫ e-(x-y)1/2/4kte-y dy where k is a constant

now the first step they say is completing the square of:

-( x2-2xy+y2)+4kty/4kt

with respect to the y variable, and they get:

- [(y+2kt-x)2]/4kt + kt - x

Now I could not get this, I also tried expanding out the final result and reverse engineer the result but in doing so I got stuck with an extra term:

y2+ 2y(2kt-x) + x2 + (2kt-x)2 - (2kt-x)2

this step is when I perform the process of completing the square before trying to factorize everything and it is here that I am having trouble. Please help if you can I have the midterm in a couple hrs.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first thing is to state the problem correctly:
    $$\frac{-(x^2-2xy+y^2)+4kty}{4kt}$$which is not what you have written. Rearrange the numerator to$$
    -(y^2+(2x-4kt)y)-x^2$$Now complete the square, not forgetting the - out in front$$
    -(y^2+(2x-4kt)y+(x-2kt)^2)+(x-2kt)^2-x^2$$ $$
    =-(y+(x-2kt))^2+x^2-4kxt+4t^2-x^2$$Now put the denominator back in and simplify it.

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi trap101! :smile:
    [(y+2kt-x)2]/4kt

= -[y2 + 4k2t2 + x2 - 2xy + 4kty - 4ktx]/kt + kt - x :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted