1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration for BC Calculus

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    I broke up the inegral of tan^(7)(theta)*sec^(5)(theta) into tan^(5)(theta)(sec^(2)(theta))(sec^(5)(theta). WHAT DO I DO NEXT

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You have broken it up incorrectly.

4. Feb 13, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

As arildno have pointed out, you've broken it incorrectly.
    [tex]\tan ^ 5 \theta \sec ^ 2 \theta \sec ^ 5 \theta = \tan ^ 5 \theta \sec ^ 7 \theta \neq \tan ^ 7 \theta \sec ^ 5 \theta[/tex]
    In this integral, by converting tangent function to sine, and cosine function, we have:
    [tex]\int \tan ^ 7 \theta \sec ^ 5 \theta d \theta = \int \frac{\sin ^ 7 \theta}{\cos ^ {12} \theta} d \theta[/tex]
    Now the power of the sine function is odd, it's common to use the substitution: [tex]u = \sin \theta[/tex], then use the well-known Pythagorean identity: cos2x + sin2x = 1 (or you can rearrange it a bit to give: sin2x = 1 - cos2x), to solve the problem.
    If the power of the cosine function is odd, then it's common to use the substitution: [tex]u = \cos \theta[/tex].
    Can you go from here? :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  5. Feb 13, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The textbooks I've seen usually present an algorithm for doing tan * sec integrals directly.

(That's as much pointed at nyyfan0729 as it is at VietDao29)

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Asa follow-up on Hurkyl's suggestion, remember that:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\tan(x)=\sec^{2}(x)[/tex]

7. Feb 13, 2006 #6

Hmmm, I guess I'm missing something because to me it seems like it's more important to remember that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sec(x)=\sec(x)tan(x)[/tex]

Also if you do this with sine & cosine, as VietDao suggested, then I'm pretty sure that you need to make [tex]u = \cos \theta[/tex] the substitution instead of [tex]u = \sin \theta[/tex]

8. Feb 13, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, if you set [tex]\frac{dv}{dx}=\tan^{7}(x)\sec^{2}(x)[/tex]
    then the original integral is easily integrated as follows:
    [tex]\int\tan^{7}(x)\sec^{5}(x)dx=\frac{1}{8}\tan^{8}(x)\sec^{3}(x)-\frac{3}{8}\int\tan^{9}(x)\sec^{3}(x)dx=\frac{1}{8}\tan^{8}(x)\sec^{3}(x)-\frac{3}{80}\tan^{10}(x)\sec(x)+\frac{1}{120}\tan^{12}(x)+C[/tex]
    or something like that.

Hmm..did a make a mistake somewhere?

Aargh, seems that I did..:grumpy:

9. Feb 14, 2006 #8

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Yes, thanks, :blushing:
    Whoops, sorry. My bad... :blushing:
    What the hell was I thinking about when writing this??? :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

10. Feb 14, 2006 #9

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it seems that CrankFan has a nice suggestion, try setting [tex]u=sec \theta [/tex] and simplifying it from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?