1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration formula

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Hello all,

My textbook states the formula [itex]\int\frac{du}{(u^2+\alpha^2)^m}=\frac{1}{2\alpha^2(m-1)}\frac{u}{(u^2+\alpha^2)^{m-1}}+\frac{2m-3}{2\alpha^2(m-1)}\int\frac{du}{(u^2+\alpha^2)^{m-1}}[/itex] but does not provide a proof of this formula. Anyone want to show me how it's derived? I tried integration by parts, which the book gives as the method for deriving the formula, but I couldn't figure it out :-(. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may want to try the homework section.

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    Why?

Also any mods can move this if necessary but it isn't homework for a class...

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A "homework-type" question might get a faster response in the HW section.

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    You have a point. I don't know how to move it or if that's even possible. If a mod sees this please move it.

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

An obvious trig substitution converts this integral into a power of cosine integral, which has well known recursion formulae, or otherwise, easier to derive recursion formulae than the original integral.

EDIT: The hyperbolic substitution converts it into a power of hyperbolic cosine integral, which is even easier to deal with.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?