1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration help needed!

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have various integration questions to do, and I do not want answers at all, just pointers on where to start.. I have 6 ones, and have only got anywhere with 2 of them (nt the two below)
    Find integral of with respect to x:
    ((x-1)/(x+1))1/2 * 1/x

1/(2 - sin2x)(2 + sinx - sin2x)

2. Relevant equations
    integration by substitution?

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first I tried u = x +1 but this doesn't go anywhere- I wouldn't know how to integrate it even without the extra 1/x term so really don't know where to start.

For the second I tried the substitution u = sin x thinking maybe this would lead to something where I could use partial fractions (it doesn't), and then there's no cos x to even allow the substitution in the first place.

My integration is REALLY rusty, so although I can manage integration by parts and simpler stuff, I seem to have completely lost the technique of what to substitute where.

One of the other ones is to find the integral of x * arcsin x dx. For this I get:
    1/2(x2 * arcsinx + x (1-x2)1/2 - arcsin x ) + C

I can't find a problem in the working (I used integration by parts where u = x, u' = 1, v' = arcsin x, v = x * arcsin x + (1-x2)1/2), but the maths program I use occasionally to check things came up with different coefficients in the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try the substitution [itex]u=\sqrt{x+1}[/itex] instead and show your work.

It's not clear exactly what the 2nd one is supposed to be....do you mean [tex]\int\frac{2+\sin x-\sin^2x}{2-\sin^2 x}dx[/tex] or [tex]\int\frac{dx}{(2-\sin^2 x)(2+\sin x-\sin^2 x)}[/tex] ?

In any case, there is a well-known trig identity that relates [itex]\cos x[/itex] to [itex]\sin x[/itex], so there is nothing to stop you from making your substitution.

Post your workings then, because your final result is incorrect.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. Sep 14, 2010 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I think that for the trigonometric integral, you can use partial fractions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook