1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration help please

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to integrate [itex]\int \frac{exp(-(1/4)x^2)}{(1+1/2(x^2))^2}\,dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried all the substitutions I can think of and I'm not getting anywhere. I know that the answer cannot be calculated fully (contains an erf term), but I can't even get this out.

Any advice would be great, thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Tonks93. Welcome to PF !

The substitution u = x/2 will clean this up a little.

Just to be clear, is the integral you're trying to solve
    [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{exp(-(x^2/4))}{(1+(x^2/2))^2}\,dx \ ?[/itex]​

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your reply - I'll try what you said now! And yes that's the right integral - sorry it wasn't totally clear.

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

u=x/√2 looks marginally better, but it's still a long way short of anything very useful.
    I can't see how to make any real progress with this as an indefinite integral, but there are methods that might help if it's for a specific range like -∞ to +∞.

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5
    Thanks for your reply. I think the range should be 0 to +∞. Would this help at all?

7. Mar 23, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As you mentioned in the Original Post, the indefinite integral contains a term with the error function.

It looks as though you will need to use integration by parts, so I suggest using the following substitution.

Let t = x/2 . (Using t = x/√2 is OK too.)

Your integral becomes: [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{exp(-(t^2))}{(1+2t^2)^2}\,dt \ .[/itex]

Then do integration by parts using [itex]\displaystyle \ u=\frac{exp(-(t^2))}{t}\ [/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \ dv=\frac{t}{(1+2t^2)^2}\,dt\ .[/itex]

8. Mar 24, 2013 #7
    Thanks for your reply. I got the answer out with the substitution you said, so thankyou so much! :)

9. Mar 24, 2013 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was a crazy pair to use for integration by parts, wasn't it ?

10. Mar 25, 2013 #9
    Haha well the substitution seems fairly logical now you've pointed it out, but it's not one I'd have thought of myself! Thanks again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted