Need Help with Integration of Tricky Expression? Get Expert Tips Here!

• Thread starter Tonks93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the student is trying to integrate the following equation: \int \frac{exp(-(1/4)x^2)}{(1+1/2(x^2))^2}\,dx. The attempted solution uses substitution u=x/2 to clean up the equation, but still does not get anywhere. The student is then suggested to use integration by parts and is given the following equation: \ u=\frac{exp(-(t^2))}{t}\ and \ dv=\frac{t}{(1+2t^2)^2}\,dt. The student is then able to solve the integral for t using this information.
Tonks93

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate [itex]\int \frac{exp(-(1/4)x^2)}{(1+1/2(x^2))^2}\,dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried all the substitutions I can think of and I'm not getting anywhere. I know that the answer cannot be calculated fully (contains an erf term), but I can't even get this out.

Any advice would be great, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tonks93 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate [itex]\int \frac{exp(-(1/4)x^2)}{(1+1/2(x^2))^2}\,dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried all the substitutions I can think of and I'm not getting anywhere. I know that the answer cannot be calculated fully (contains an erf term), but I can't even get this out.

Any advice would be great, thank you :)
Hello Tonks93. Welcome to PF !

The substitution u = x/2 will clean this up a little.

Just to be clear, is the integral you're trying to solve
[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{exp(-(x^2/4))}{(1+(x^2/2))^2}\,dx \ ?[/itex]​

Thanks for your reply - I'll try what you said now! And yes that's the right integral - sorry it wasn't totally clear.

u=x/√2 looks marginally better, but it's still a long way short of anything very useful.
I can't see how to make any real progress with this as an indefinite integral, but there are methods that might help if it's for a specific range like -∞ to +∞.

Thanks for your reply. I think the range should be 0 to +∞. Would this help at all?

As you mentioned in the Original Post, the indefinite integral contains a term with the error function.

It looks as though you will need to use integration by parts, so I suggest using the following substitution.

Let t = x/2 . (Using t = x/√2 is OK too.)

Your integral becomes: [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{exp(-(t^2))}{(1+2t^2)^2}\,dt \ .[/itex]

Then do integration by parts using [itex]\displaystyle \ u=\frac{exp(-(t^2))}{t}\ [/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \ dv=\frac{t}{(1+2t^2)^2}\,dt\ .[/itex]

Thanks for your reply. I got the answer out with the substitution you said, so thankyou so much! :)

Tonks93 said:
Thanks for your reply. I got the answer out with the substitution you said, so thankyou so much! :)
That was a crazy pair to use for integration by parts, wasn't it ?

Haha well the substitution seems fairly logical now you've pointed it out, but it's not one I'd have thought of myself! Thanks again :)

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is commonly used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why do we need integration?

Integration is used to solve problems that involve finding the total or accumulated amount of something. This could be the total distance traveled, the total force exerted, or the total amount of change over time.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Each method is used to solve different types of problems and can be chosen based on the complexity of the function being integrated.

4. Can integration be used for real-world applications?

Yes, integration is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems. For example, integration can be used to find the velocity of an object, the area under a pressure curve, or the total cost of production over time.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

Practice is key to improving your integration skills. You can start by solving basic problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the different methods of integration and when to use them. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.