1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Help Please

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem that we have been given is to integrate the following: ∫( [itex]\frac{4}{2x-1}[/itex] )dx

2. Relevant equations

I understand that the when [itex]\frac{a}{ax+b}[/itex] is integrated, the result is ln(ax+b) + C.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been told I need to make the numerator the same as the integer infront of the x term of the denominator (2) so that the equation meets the format to be [itex]\frac{a}{ax+b}[/itex], where a = 2 and b = -1. My lecturer informed me that I should change the 4 of the numerator from 4 to 2 and then place a 2 infront of the integral so that it looks like the following:

2∫([itex]\frac{2}{2x-1}[/itex]).

What I cant understand is why the (2x-1) term doesn't now become (x-0.5) if the 2 at the front of the integral means that the statement will be multiplied by 2, as the top is essentially multiplied by 2 but not the bottom. I may have missed something completely obvious here but this is bugging me slightly.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The reason you factor out a 2 from the numerator is so that the substitution is obvious.

##u = 2x-1 \Rightarrow du = 2dx##

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Another way to go is to bring the 4 in the numerator out, and factor 2 out of the denominator.
    $$ \int \frac{4 dx}{2x - 1} = \frac{4}{2} \int \frac{dx}{x - 1/2} = 2 \int \frac{dx}{x - 1/2}$$

The last integral is pretty easy to do.

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Personally, I would not do it that way, anyway. Starting from [itex]\int 4dx/(2x- 1)[/itex] I would say "let u= 2x- 1. Then du= 2dx". Now I can divide both sides by 2 to get "(1/2)du= dx" and the integral becomes [itex]\int (1/2)(4) du/u= (2)\int du/u[/itex] which gives the same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted