Integration Help: Leibniz's Rule Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with an integration problem. They provide part of their solution and ask for assistance in finding their mistake. Another person responds with a correction and provides a step-by-step explanation of how to find the correct solution. The conversation then shifts to another integration problem and the same person provides assistance with finding the solution. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help.
elle
Integration help please!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following integration problem.

I've provided part of my solution so far but its not the same as the answer given.

Question has been stated at the top of my solution and I am supposed to use Leibniz's rule to show that the I'(y) = 4y ln (2y).

I can't seem to get the answer so if anyone would be kind enough to point out my mistake, I'd be very grateful! thanks very much for your time :smile:

*Also in my solution a part of my first line of working has been cut off. There is supposed to be a limit of x = y^2 next to the ln (x + y^2) | [ if you know wot i mean :tongue2: ]

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/mathsnerd/911d4376.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remeber that ln(a)-ln(b)=ln(a/b), as well as the other properties of the natural log function.

Thanks i got it nows! :biggrin:

Oh I also got another question to ask. I've not done integration since last year so my mind is totally blank Anyways, I've again provided part of my solution but I'm stuck at the next integration...I don't know what method to use! :confused: It's probably really easy but as I said my mind's a blank..sigh. I tried it and my final answer was nothing near the solution given which is 48. Help very much appreciated!

* Question requires the use of double integrals

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/mathsnerd/72cd4951.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first integration is wrong. int(sqrt(xy-y^2),x)=2/3*(x-y)*sqrt(xy-y^2). Try it from there and see what you get now.

BerkMath said:
Your first integration is wrong. int(sqrt(xy-y^2),x)=2/3*(x-y)*sqrt(xy-y^2). Try it from there and see what you get now.

It's wrong? :eek: Ack no wonder :frown: How did you get 2/3*(x-y)*sqrt(xy-y^2)? Can you show me please? I don't understand how you got that answer...

You are letting the y bother you. First do this to make it more clear:
sqrt(xy-y^2)=sqrt(y(x-y))=sqrt(y)sqrt(x-y), so int(sqrt(xy-y^2),x)=int(sqrt(y)sqrt(x-y),x), now take out sqrt(y) sinc we may view it as a constant. We have sqrt(y)*int(sqrt(x-y),x). This is just a standard substitution problem. let u=x-y, then du=dx, then y^(-1/2)*int((x-y)^(-1/2),x)=y^(-1/2)*int(u^(-1/2),u)=y^(-1/2)*2/3*u^(3/2)=y^(-1/2)*2/3*(x-y)^(3/2)=2/3*(x-y)sqrt(xy-y^2), where in the last equality we made use of the fact u^(3/2)=u*u^(1/2).

1. What is Leibniz's Rule and how is it used in integration?

Leibniz's Rule, also known as the product rule for differentiation, is a formula that allows us to differentiate a product of two functions. In integration, this rule can be used to simplify the process of finding the integral of a product of two functions.

2. Can you provide an example of solving a problem using Leibniz's Rule?

Sure! Let's say we have the integral of x^2 sin(x). By using Leibniz's Rule, we can rewrite this as the integral of x^2 * sin(x) dx which can then be solved using integration by parts.

3. What are the conditions for using Leibniz's Rule?

The conditions for using Leibniz's Rule are that the functions being multiplied must be differentiable, and the limits of integration must be finite.

4. Can Leibniz's Rule be used for higher-order derivatives?

Yes, Leibniz's Rule can be extended to higher-order derivatives. For example, the second derivative of a product of two functions can be found using the formula d^2/dx^2 (fg) = f''g + 2f'g' + fg''.

5. Are there any alternative methods to Leibniz's Rule for solving integration problems?

Yes, there are other methods such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to understand and be familiar with these different methods in order to choose the most efficient approach for a given integration problem.