1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration help

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    I tried to find the volume of a torus revolved around the y-axis using the washer method. The equation for the circle is (x-2)^2 +y^2=1.
    I need to integrate (1-y^2)^1/2 dy from 1 to 0 multiplied by a constant 16pi. The constant is not really important but I can't seem to integrate the integrand. I am aware that there's a formula for finding a vol. of a torus, as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you misstated the problem, it is trivial. The integral of 1 is y and the integral of y2 is y3/3. Just put them together.

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    Yes, but in this case, the (1-y^2) are under the square root, you can't separate the two terms.

5. Mar 6, 2008 #4
    [tex]\int_0^1 \sqrt (1-y^{2}) dy[/tex]
    a trig substitution would work here, like y=sinx, so dy=cos(x)dx, when y=0, x=0, when y=1,[tex] x=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \sqrt(1-sin^{2}x )cosxdx[/tex] now remember

[tex]1-sin^{2}(x)=cos^{2}(x)[/tex] so

[tex]\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} cos^{2}(x) dx=\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \frac{1+cos(2x)}{2} dx[/tex] and you are almost done!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?