1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration help

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    how do i integrate (1+Z)/(2-2Z)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2
    What have you tried so far?

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\int\frac{1+Z}{2- 2Z}dZ= \frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1+Z}{1- Z}dZ[/tex]
    Does that help?

and
    [tex]\frac{1+ Z}{1- Z}= -1- ?[/tex]

5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try a u substitution. What's the obvious one?

6. Jul 30, 2008 #5
    substitute 2-2Z for u? but then ive still got something over something else and still dont get what method to use :S

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

As HallsOfIvy pointed out, you can just use polynomial long division to decompose the fraction into something more integrable.

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u=2-2Z then Z=(2-u)/2. Substitute that into 1+Z. Now it's all u's.

9. Jul 30, 2008 #8
    Dick said it all. You need to write Z in terms of u, then you need to find dz/du by differentiating that. You substitute everything in and integrate.

10. Jul 31, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you will still have to divide the fraction. Seems simpler just to reduce the original fraction.

11. Jul 31, 2008 #10
    If you factor out the 2, sub u = 1-z and z = 1-u, all the work has been done for you. Just seperate the fraction and integrate.

12. Jul 31, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, one more time, why not just "separate the fraction" (by which I assume you mean "divide") without the substitution?

13. Jul 31, 2008 #12

Air

If you substitute [itex]u=2-2z[/itex], and you simplify it, you will end up with this at one point:

[itex]-\frac12 \int \left( \frac{2}{u} - \frac12 \right) \ \mathrm{d}u \implies \frac14 \int 1 \ \mathrm{d}u - \int \frac{1}{u} \ \mathrm{d}u[/itex]

Integrate this and remember to substitute [itex]u=2-2z[/itex] in the end to get the final answer.

14. Aug 1, 2008 #13

pps

[tex] u = z-1 [/tex]
    [tex] du = dz [/tex]
    [tex] z = u + 1 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1+z}{1-z}dz =\frac{1}{-2} \int \frac{1+z}{z-1}dz = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{-2} \left( \int \frac{dz}{z-1} + \int \frac{z}{z-1}dz \right) = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{-2} \left( \int \frac{du}{u} + \int \frac{u + 1}{u} du \right) = [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{-2} \left( \int \frac{du}{u} + \int \frac{du}{u} + \int du \right) = [/tex]

Continue from this point.

15. Aug 1, 2008 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And if you use the fact that [tex]\frac{1+z}{2-2z}= -\frac{1}{2}\left(1+ \frac{1}{1-z}\right)[/tex] you have
    [tex]\int \frac{1+z}{2- 2z}dz= -\frac{1}{2}\int (1+ \frac{1}{z-1}dz= -\frac{1}{2}(z+ ln|z-1|)+ C[/tex]

That seems simpler to me.

16. Aug 1, 2008 #15

pps

Your method is indeed much simpler. =)

17. Aug 2, 2008 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it's MUCH simpler. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Neither one is all that complicated. If you ask me. And you don't have to.

18. Aug 2, 2008 #17
    That's false though... Just check z=0 the left side gives 1/2, but the right side gives -(1/2)(2)=-1...

19. Aug 2, 2008 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At this point I'm wondering who cares. franky2727 hasn't checked in since the initial post. I guess this thread is just getting a lot of attention because nothing else is going on.

20. Aug 2, 2008 #19

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Typo: I meant
    [tex]-\frac{1}{2}\left(1+ \frac{2}{z-1}\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?