1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration help

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{e^{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex]

It's in the substitution rule/symmetric function section of my book, so I figure I probably have to use one of those techniques to solve it. I've tried doing a bunch of different u substitutions [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], [itex]e^{{\sqrt{x}}}[/itex], etc, but none of them seem right.

How can you tell if a function is symmetric by looking at the equation? And whether it is even or odd?

PS - couldn't figure out how to do it, but it's actually a definite integral that goes from 1 to 4. Also, if the top of the fraction is hard to read, it's [itex]e^{{\sqrt{x}}}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2
    Try [tex]u = \sqrt{x}[/tex] again.

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    Well now I feel a bit ridiculous. But I end up with [itex]/int[/itex]e^u * u^-2. Is there a way to solve this without integration by parts? We haven't gotten to it yet so I feel like there should be a way.

Sorry for the lack of formatting, typing on my phone and I can't remember most of the tags.

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]u = \sqrt{x}\,,[/itex] then what is du ?

BTW: It's important to have the dx in the integral: [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{e^{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{x}} dx\,.[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook