Integration: Help With Log SQRT 1+x^2

• Thread starter XtremePhysX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of log√(1+x^2)dx and suggests using a hyperbolic function for substitution. The final answer is xlnx-x+c and it is confirmed that the derivatives of ln(x^2) and (lnx)^2 are both correct.
XtremePhysX

Homework Statement

find

Homework Equations

[tex]\int log\sqrt{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use a hyperbolic function to make a substitution to get rid of the square root.

I don't know how to do that?

[tex] x = \sinh t [/tex] would be the obvious candidate.

So is that a substitution?

the answer is xlnx-x+c is that right?

You'll have to make the calculations on your own. I just gave you a point to start from, assuming you have knowledge of hyperbolic functions. Another option is to use integration by parts.

Yes, hyperbolic substitution would work here.

Millennial said:
Yes, hyperbolic substitution would work here.

Hello mill
but is the answer xlnx-x
also, is the derivative of ln(x^2) just 2/x and the derivative of (lnx)^2 is 2lnx/x ?

Xtreme, why don't you try differentiating your answer to check whether if it is correct?
And answering your question about derivatives: Yes, they are both correct.

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How do I integrate a function with a logarithm and square root?

Integrating a function with a logarithm and square root involves using integration by parts or substitution techniques. It is important to carefully rearrange the function and apply the appropriate integration rules.

3. Can you provide an example of integrating a function with a logarithm and square root?

Sure, an example of integrating the function ∫ln(1+x^2)dx can be solved using the substitution method, by letting u = 1+x^2. After substitution, the integral becomes ∫(1/2)(1/u)du which can be easily solved by applying the power rule for integration.

4. Are there any tricks or tips for integrating functions with a logarithm and square root?

Yes, some useful tips for integrating functions with a logarithm and square root include simplifying the function before integrating, using trigonometric substitutions, and being familiar with common integration formulas.

5. What are some applications of integration involving logarithms and square roots?

Integration involving logarithms and square roots is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, in economics to determine optimal production levels, and in statistics to find the probability of a certain event occurring.