1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration help

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    I was doing a change in variables problem in multivariable calculus and I got stuck on the last integration.

[tex]\frac {4}{3} \int_{u=0}^{1} (1-u^2)^{\frac {1}{2}}(2u^2+1)du[/tex]

I don't think substitution works. Can anyone show me an easy way to solve this? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Typically [itex] u=\sin t [/itex]

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    For problems like this in general, you should try spliting up any integrand into as many pieces as possible...

Here you can rewrite the integrand obviously as 2u^2[(1-u^2)^0.5] + (1-u^2)...

and being the lazy engineering student that I am... I would look these up in a table of integrals--- which would definetely have the general solutions.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't listen to an engineering student giving advice in anything but engineering...:wink:

The transformed integral should be

[tex] \frac{4}{3}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2}t\left(2\sin^{2}t+1\right) dt [/tex]

Use the double angle formulas to get it simplified.

Daniel.

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    did u miss [tex](1-u)^{1/2}[/tex] -> [tex] \int cos t (2 sin^2 t + 1) dt[/tex]? Or did i miss something

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,u missed the second cosine.One from the sqrt & the other from the change of variable...

Daniel.

8. Apr 13, 2005 #7
    ah that clears things up. thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?