Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration help

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    I was doing a change in variables problem in multivariable calculus and I got stuck on the last integration.

[tex]\frac {4}{3} \int_{u=0}^{1} (1-u^2)^{\frac {1}{2}}(2u^2+1)du[/tex]

I don't think substitution works. Can anyone show me an easy way to solve this? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Typically [itex] u=\sin t [/itex]

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    For problems like this in general, you should try spliting up any integrand into as many pieces as possible...

Here you can rewrite the integrand obviously as 2u^2[(1-u^2)^0.5] + (1-u^2)...

and being the lazy engineering student that I am... I would look these up in a table of integrals--- which would definetely have the general solutions.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't listen to an engineering student giving advice in anything but engineering...:wink:

The transformed integral should be

[tex] \frac{4}{3}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2}t\left(2\sin^{2}t+1\right) dt [/tex]

Use the double angle formulas to get it simplified.

Daniel.

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    did u miss [tex](1-u)^{1/2}[/tex] -> [tex] \int cos t (2 sin^2 t + 1) dt[/tex]? Or did i miss something

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,u missed the second cosine.One from the sqrt & the other from the change of variable...

Daniel.

8. Apr 13, 2005 #7
    ah that clears things up. thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook