1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Help

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫(9+16x2)3/2dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to solve this one in various ways. At first, I tried using trig substitutions and then integration by parts. I attached a pdf of what I tried to do. I'm unsure as to what I am doing wrong. Is there something I am missing here? I tried to do a u substitution with u=√9+16x2 but that seemed to not work either. Other ways just get me bogged down in a very long integration by parts thing. Is there any other way? Can anyone shed some light on what I can do to solve this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems like trig substitutions are the way to go. I looked at it quickly, and if you can integrate [itex]sec^{5}(\theta)[/itex], you can solve the problem

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3
    That's what I kept getting to. However, it seemed like it was going to take many integration by parts. I guess there is no other option. Any advice on how to integrate sec^5 (x). I saw somewhere else to write it as
    cos (x) / cos^6 (x)

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

You can do it by parts, it is ugly though.

Let d(sec) = sec(x) tan(x) dx
    So int sec tan^2 dx = int tan d(sec)

I'll use this to make the structure easier to see.

sec^5 = sec (1 + tan^2)^2
    = sec + 2 sec tan^2 + sec tan^4

int sec^5 dx = int sec dx + 2 int tan d(sec) + int tan^3 d(sec)

Start with the most difficult term and work your way down.

int tan^3 d(sec) = sec tan^3 - int sec 3 tan^2 sec^2 dx
    = sec tan^3 - 3 int sec^3 tan^2 dx
    = sec tan^3 - 3 int sec tan^2 (1 + tan^2) dx
    = sec tan^3 - 3 int tan d(sec) - 3 int tan^3 d(sec)

This should give you enough confidence to continue in this direction and get the answer.

6. Oct 5, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it's a little easier substituting sinh instead of tan. You get cosh4, which you can then handle by expanding as a sum of exponentials.

7. Oct 5, 2013 #6
    Thing is, I have never learned about hyperbolic sines or cosines. In Calc 1 we were told to omit them, and haven't gone over them in Calc II. Although I hate doing this, I'm trying to do it by remembering the reduction formula for secant^m(x). Every time I do it by parts I seem to get lost in 2 pages of integrals.

I think it's sec^m(x)=sinxsec^(m-1)/(m-1) + (m-2)/(m-1)int sec^(m-2) dx

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted