Integration homework problem help

Rightarrow \int \frac{1}{4-2N} dN = \frac{-1}{2} ln|4-2N| + ConstantIn summary, the equation dN/(4-2N) can be integrated to ln|4-2N|, but with a coefficient of -1/2. This coefficient comes from performing a chain rule, where u=4-2N.
alexis36

Homework Statement

I have this equation:
integrate: dN/(4-2N)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am understanding that the dN part just goes away and comes one on the top of the fraction. Then on the bottom, I am still left with 4-2N. I am simply saying that it is equal to ln|4-2N| .. however, I am told that it should be -1/2 ln(|4-2N|) . The -1/2 in front, is that coming from performing a chain rule? And if so, how do you get a chain rule out of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int \frac{1}{4-2N} dN[/tex]

Let u=4-2N (*) ;[itex]\frac{du}{dN}=-2 \Rightarrow dN=\frac{du}{-2}[/itex][tex]\int \frac{1}{4-2N} dN \equiv \int \frac{-1}{2} \frac{1}{u} du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int \frac{1}{u} du = \frac{-1}{2}lnu + Constant[/tex]and *

1. What is integration and why is it important in mathematics?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important because it helps us solve problems related to motion, volume, and area, among others. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know which integration technique to use?

The choice of integration technique depends on the function being integrated. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to practice and gain familiarity with these techniques to determine which one to use in a given problem.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve integration problems?

Yes, most calculators have built-in integration functions that can solve basic integration problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind integration and know how to solve problems manually before relying on a calculator.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include incorrect substitution, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to check the bounds of integration and make sure they are correct.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving integration problems. Start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to review the different integration techniques and understand when to use them. Seeking help from a tutor or online resources can also be beneficial.