1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Homework Problem

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    I attached just one question...My tutor and the TA could not figure it out or help me get started on it...can someone help me get started? Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First Please type the problem in rather that posting a "word" file. It's not that difficult and many people won't open a "word" attachement for fear of viruses. I wouldn't if I didn't have very strong virus protection.

As for the problem itself, Draw a picture. While you don't know the exact "form" of f, you know that it passes through the points (5, 13) and (11, 6) and is decreasing so you can sketch a possible graph for f. You also know that the integral given is the area under that curve- the area between that curve and the x-axis. Draw the boundaries of that region.

Now, f-1 just "swaps" x and y so the integral of f-1 you are looking for is the area between that curve and the y- axis. Draw the boundaries and conpare the two areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?