1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration in real world.

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    What is the difference between ∫X.dY and ∫Y.dX in the physical world? I know what the difference is in pure mathematics. ∫X.dY represents the are bounded by the curve and the Y axis while ∫Y.dX represents the area bounded by the curve and the X axis. But I am unable to translate this into physical situations.

For example when we are doing ∫F.dX, we are calculating force multiplied by displacement for very small displacements and then adding them all up. Similarly ∫X.dF should mean that we are multiplying the displacement of the particle for a very small change in F with that small change. Should they not mean the same thing and give the same result? Yet only the first is called the work done. One other example that I can think of is that of pressure-volume work. ∫p.dv is the work done. I can't even think of what ∫v.dp means. What does it mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

X and Y are arbitrary variables. If you do not define them, the integrals are meaningless.

Integrate the volume for a pressure change. If volume is a function of pressure, this is possible (I am not sure if there is a useful physical interpretation for that).

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct.

No. we are multiplying "the displacement of the particle", not "the displacement of the particle for a very small change in F". In other words, "the displacement from origin", not "the small change in displacement".

If you write down a mathematical formula "at random", usually it doesn't mean anything physically.

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4
    That makes sense. But ∫v.dp should mean something since dH=dU+pdV+Vdp. Here dU is the change in internal energy and pdV is the work done. What is Vdp?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook