Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration involving ArcCos

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    I was trying to derive the formula for the moment of inertia of a rectangular prism at its centre of mass. And ended up with this:

Due to the limitation of my knowledge in Calculus, I was stuck here. Can anyone help me solve these two integral:

[tex]\int arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)rdr[/tex]

[tex]\int (\frac{\pi}{2}-arccos\frac{b/2}{r}-arccos\frac{a/2}{r})rdr[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
  4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    Still have no idea. First,by "reduce", do you mean to expand the first integral ? Second, I have not learnt partial integration.
  5. Jan 20, 2010 #4
    By reduce I mean simplify. Do it by trig identities (wikipedia has a great list of these):

[tex]\arccos\alpha \pm \arccos\beta = \arccos(\alpha\beta \mp \sqrt{(1-\alpha^2)(1-\beta^2)})[/tex]

[tex] \arcsin(x)+\arccos(x)=\pi/2[/tex]

For taking the integral of these trig functions, here is the trick: first learn the derivatives, then use integration by parts

[tex]\int u\, \frac{dv}{dx}\; dx=uv-\int v\, \frac{du}{dx} \; dx\![/tex]

Notice that if you know the derivative of u, [tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex], you can evalute the integral of u wrt x, [tex]\int u \; dx[/tex], using the derivative instead.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  6. Jan 21, 2010 #5
    It seems impossible now. Since we know the derivative of arccos but not the integral of it, eg. for the first integral: [tex]
    \int arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)rdr

then,from [tex]
    \int u\, \frac{dv}{dx}\; dx=uv-\int v\, \frac{du}{dx} \; dx\!
    and [tex]\frac{d}{dx}arccos(u)=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-u^{2}}}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

we have
    [tex]\int arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)rdr=arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)\frac{r^{2}}{2}+\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)^{2}}}[\frac{d}{dr}(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)]\frac{r^{2}}{2}dr[/tex]

when I simplified it:
    [tex]\int arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)rdr=arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)\frac{r^{2}}{2}-[arcsin\frac{a}{2r}](ar)-a\int arcsin\frac{a}{2r}dr[/tex]

Now I have to integrate ArcSin. Isn't this impossible? I am close to dying. I kind of started on the second integral, and it seem like it would get twice as long as this.
  7. Jan 21, 2010 #6
    Does anyone know how to derive the formula for the moment of inertia of a rectangular prism?
  8. Jan 21, 2010 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Wait, where did that arcsin come in? It looks like you had everything algebraic before...
  9. Jan 21, 2010 #8
    Oopsss, I misused one formula. Now I corrected it. From this one:

\int arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)rdr=arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)\frac{r^{2}}{2}+\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)^{2}}}[\frac{d}{dr}(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)]\frac{r^{2}}{2}dr

By using this formula:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^{2}\pm a^{2}}}du=ln\left|u+\sqrt{u^{2}\pm a^{2}}\right|+C[/tex]

and further integration by parts, I got this:

[tex]\int arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)rdr=arccos(\frac{a^{2}}{2r^{2}}-1)\frac{r^{2}}{2}-\frac{ar}{2}ln\left|r+\sqrt{r^{2}-(a/2)^{2}}\right|+\frac{a}{2}\int ln\left|r+\sqrt{r^{2}-(a/2)^{2}}\right|dr[/tex]
  10. Jan 21, 2010 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

11. Jan 22, 2010 #10
    Damn!!! I made a major mistake!!!! The two [tex] rdr[/tex] should be [tex] r^{3}dr[/tex].
    I should make sure before I start next time. Thanks for both of your help though. I appreciate it.
  12. Jan 23, 2010 #11

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Don't give up now! Just work through it carefully. Try showing (and checking) each step. I will not allow you to give up!

Joking, nothing I can say or do would require you to do anything. Still, you should have that attitude for yourself, sometimes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook