1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Issues a bit

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    Integration Issues...a bit urgent

Hey having problems with five of my assignment questions, any help would be appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (problems attached)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first one, I tried to solve it by using the sin-1 x as 'u' and integrating the u and getting u3 / 3 + c, but that doesn't seem to work. Then I thought I could use the Integration by parts formula, but since its (sin-1x)2, both u and v would be the same....

Second one: I thought of taking the y0.5 as the substitution 'u', but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Third one: I thought I could seperate it into ln( (1+t)0.5) + ln (t0.5) and solve them individually...

Fourth one: The improper fractions technique, but then I can't seem to get legit values for A, B and C

Last one: Direct Comparison Test, comparing it to the fraction: x2 / (x+3)3

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2
    Re: Integration Issues...a bit urgent

Why would it matter if u and dv (not v) are the same? In fact, for 1, that would be probably the only way to do it.
  4. Jul 1, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

I'll need to deal with this in parts. Here's what I suggest at the moment.

1) It may be six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other as to whether you should use u = (arcsin x) or u = (arcsin x)^2 .

If you do the former, you will have to integrate dv = (arcsin x) dx , which isn't too bad. It's tidier, though, to do the latter and have dv = dx.

It looks like either way you will have to integrate

[tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1 - x^2} } arcsin x dx [/tex]

which means a second integration by parts with u = arcsin x and dv for the rest, which is a substitution integral. I think it does settle down after that... (Nasty little problem.)

EDIT: Worked it out with u = (arcsin x)^2. The second integration-by-parts is easy.

2) Try v = sqrt(y). You'll then have an integration-by-parts to do; the v du integral looks like it will require a trig substitution, but then you're done.

4) Another multiple-technique problem. (I'm suspecting they all are: I think your instructor is out to get you...) Substitute u = e^x to create an integrand with a quadratic polynomial over the square root of a quadratic polynomial. Then try completing the square for the argument of the radical. It may be a trig-substitution integral from there...

5) I take it you're supposed to see if this improper integral diverges, or else evaluate it if it converges. You're correct in that you want to focus on the [tex]\frac{x^2}{(x+3)^3}[/tex] term. The (sin x)^2 factor is there, I suspect, to attempt to foil you in this, since it is bounded above by 1, so it is "usually" smaller than [tex]\frac{x^2}{(x+3)^3}[/tex]. You may have to make some sort of argument that, averaged over a period, sine-squared is non-zero, so this integral term acts like a constant times 1/x , and thus diverges. (One certainly has an intuition that this thing diverges...)

Still thinking about #3...
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. Jul 1, 2008 #4

for 3, your best bet would probably be to use integration by parts with u=1 and dv=... . Doing so will "get rid" of the ln under the integral sign.
  6. Jul 1, 2008 #5

Ha, I remember doing the first four from my textbook.
    1) Use parts, let u=arcsin[x]^2 dv=dx. Should be clear what to do next.
    2) Use sub, let u=sqrt[x] so 2u du =dx, then use parts.
    Never could solve the others, didn't really care either because they never come up in the real world.
  7. Jul 1, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

For 3, the solution I could come up with involves 2 substitutions and quite a number of integration by parts. As foxjwill said, do it first by integration by parts, then make a substitution for t^(1/2), you'll end up with something you should recognise easily as integrable by a trigo substitution, but it gets tedious from this point, though it's doable.

EDIT: The online integrator's answer involves a hyperbolic sine, which strongly implies that you can shorten the number of steps needed by familiarising yourself with integrals and differentiation of hyperbolic trigo functions.
  8. Jul 3, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

That is correct, for the third one [itex] t = \sinh^2 x[/itex] is good to use, it comes out in a few lines if you are familiar with hyperbolic trig functions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?