Integrating sec(2x) for a given interval

In summary, the given problem asks to evaluate the integral of sec(2x) with respect to x for the interval from 3pi/8 to pi/2. After finding the indefinite integral, it simplifies to (1/2)ln|sec(2x) + tan(2x)|. To evaluate the definite integral, substitute the limits of integration into this expression. However, the question states that there is no need to evaluate the answer numerically, so the final answer should be left in its exact form without using a calculator. The question also asks to verify the answer using a program like Mathcad.
Kawakaze

Homework Statement

Determine

[tex]\int sec(2x) dx[/tex] for interval [tex]\frac{3\pi}{8}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi/2} ln (sec(\frac{\pi}{2}x+tan(\frac{\pi}{2}x))-\frac{1}{3\pi/8} ln (sec(\frac{3\pi}{8}x+tan(\frac{3\pi}{8}x))[/tex]

I am unsure how to simplify this further, wolphram alpha gives a much more elegant

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?....**Integral.rangestart-.*Integral.rangeend---

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the hyperbolic functions enter this as follows

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{\cos 2x} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d(2x)}{\cos 2x} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{\cos 2x \ d(2x)}{\cos^2 2x} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d(\sin 2x)}{1-\sin^2 2x} [/tex]

Ok, but now you know that

[tex] (\coth^{-1} x)' = \frac{1}{1-x^2} [/tex]

So that's how you get the argcotanh function in the final answer.

Last edited:
Kawakaze said:

Homework Statement

Determine

[tex]\int sec(2x) dx[/tex] for interval [tex]\frac{3\pi}{8}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi/2} ln (sec(\frac{\pi}{2}x+tan(\frac{\pi}{2}x))-\frac{1}{3\pi/8} ln (sec(\frac{3\pi}{8}x+tan(\frac{3\pi}{8}x))[/tex]

I am unsure how to simplify this further, wolphram alpha gives a much more elegant

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?....**Integral.rangestart-.*Integral.rangeend---

For your antiderivative you should have gotten (1/2)ln|sec(2x) + tan(2x)|. You can check this by differentiating to get your original integrand, sec(2x).

To evaluate your definite integral, evaluate (1/2)ln|sec(2x) + tan(2x)|at pi/2 and 3pi/8. The answer you showed above should not still have x in it.

Hi Kawakaze! :smile:

Alternative formula which may shorten the calculation slightly:

sec2x + tan2x = (1 + sin2x)/cos2x

= (1 + cos(π/2 - 2x))/sin(π/2 - 2x)

= 2cos2(π/4 - x)/2sin(π/4 - x)cos(π/4 - x) = cot(π/4 - x) :wink:

Another alternative formula:

d/dx tanh-1(cotx)

= -cosec2x/(1 - cot2x)

= 1/(cos2x - sin2x)

= 1/cos2x = sec2x,

so ∫sec2x dx = tanh-1(cotx) + C :smile:

(only meaningful for cotx < 1, ie tan x > 1, otherwise have to use tanh-1(tanx))

Last edited:
To match your elegant wolfram alpha result (1/2 coth-1(√2), = 1/2 tanh-1(1/√2)) :wink:
Kawakaze said:

tanh-1(cotx) = 1/2 tanh-1(sin2x)

because sin2x = 2tanx/(1 + tan2x) = 2cotx/(cot2x + 1),

so if u = tanh-1(cotx), then cotx = tanhu, so sin2x = 2tanhu/(tanh2u + 1) = tanh2u

We can get this directly from

d/dx tanh-1(sin2x)

= 2cos2x/(1 - sin22x)

= 2sec2x,

so ∫sec2x dx = 1/2 tanh-1(sin2x) + C :smile:

the advantage of this over the tanh-1(cotx) solution is that the function tanh-1 is only defined between ±1, so we needed to say tanh-1(cotx) for cotx < 1 and tanh-1(tanx) for cotx > 1 … but |sin2x| is never > 1, so the single formula 1/2 tanh-1(sin2x) is valid (except for x = any odd multiple of π/4, which is also when sec2x = ∞)

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Again, sorry but over my head! I did type the equation in wrong to begin with. The hyperbolic functions you talk about are not in this chapter of my course book, so I assume out of scope for this assessment, its my first week of noob calculus.

Standard integral is -
[tex]\frac{1}{a} ln (sec(ax)+tan(ax))[/tex]
(when sec(ax)+tan(ax)>0)

Are the [tex]\pi/2[/tex] & [tex]3\pi/8[/tex] to be plugged in as the constant or for x?

For a definite integral, you don't need to add the constant of integration. Substitute the two limits of integration into x.

Ok thanks! =) But that does raise more questions, the questions states "There is no need to evaluate your answer numerically"

Now what could that possibly mean? If i plug in the values then I am answering it numerically. I should have mentioned this sooner. It also says evaluate my answer with mathcad, and mathcad gives a numerical answer! =S

Then you either haven't posted the complete text of the problem, or the author of it is plain stupid. A definite integral will always have a numerical value...

Yeah I was wondering the same, i thought I just didnt get it. Here is the entire question -

Evaluate

[tex]\int sec(2x) dx[/tex]

(There is no need to evaluate your answer numerically.)
Verify your answer using Mathcad.

I can't get the right integration symbol, at the top its pi/2 and and at the bottom its 3pi/8

I thought it would be F(b) - F(a), where F is the indefinite integral with b or a plugged in.b being pi/2 and a being 3pi/8

A retard conceived the problem.

As for the LaTex issue, click here to find the code:

[tex] \int_{\frac{3\pi}{8}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sec 2x \ dx = \mbox{Numerical value with or without mathcad} [/tex]

:D

bigubau said:
A retard wrote the problem.

Haha that made my day, what a grin I have on my face. Thanks for the tex help too. I am going to see if I can't find something in the errata, i doubt it but, yea...

nope nothing in the errata, could they mean , show the working but not the answer? =S

Kawakaze said:
Ok thanks! =) But that does raise more questions, the questions states "There is no need to evaluate your answer numerically"

Now what could that possibly mean? If i plug in the values then I am answering it numerically. I should have mentioned this sooner. It also says evaluate my answer with mathcad, and mathcad gives a numerical answer! =S
That means leave your answer in its exact form, in terms of ln(sec(3pi/4) + tan(3pi/4)) and ln(sec(pi) + tan(pi)) or whatever, without using a calculator to get an approximation of this stuff.

bigubau said:
Then you either haven't posted the complete text of the problem, or the author of it is plain stupid. A definite integral will always have a numerical value...
A definite integral represents a number, but that number can be exact (such as [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) or approximate (such as 1.414). The author wants the exact answer, not an approximation.

Mark44 said:
A definite integral represents a number, but that number can be exact (such as [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]) or approximate (such as 1.414). The author wants the exact answer, not an approximation.

Don't want to be a jerk, but nowhere in the problem is there a mention of <approximate> values. The problem states: "Evaluate A (definite integral). (There is no need to evaluate your answer numerically.) [...]".

But evaluating (at least correctly, according to the commonly accepted mathematics) a definite integral will always yield a number, so his remark b/w the brackets is plain stupid.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Ok, let's have one last stab at this. Its only 3 marks and its 1.20am so i know where my priorities are at the minute. (:

[tex]\int_{\frac{3\pi}{8}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sec 2x \ dx[/tex] = F(b) - F(a)

[tex] = (ln(sec(\frac{\pi}{2})+tan(\frac{\pi}{2})) - (ln(sec(\frac{3\pi}{8})+tan(\frac{3\pi}{8}))[/tex]

bigubau said:
Don't want to be a jerk, but nowhere in the problem is there a mention of <approximate> values. The problem states: "Evaluate A (definite integral). (There is no need to evaluate your answer numerically.) [...]".

But evaluating (at least correctly, according to the commonly accepted mathematics) a definite integral will always yield a number, so his remark b/w the brackets is plain stupid.

That's the point I was trying to make.
Evaluating the answer numerically and approximating it by the use of a calculator or computer mean the same thing.

Referring to Post 16 of the thread:

Hmm, but aren't sec(pi/2) and tan(pi/2) undefined in the reals ?? There must be a trick that you're missing, probably from the (2x) in the argument of the integrated function...;)

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Evaluating the answer numerically and approximating it by the use of a calculator or computer mean the same thing.

It's not the point I was making. I was addressing the semantics or logics behind the question, you were telling me that writing somewhere on a piece of paper sqrt(2) or 1.414 means the same thing.

bigubau said:
It's not the point I was making. I was addressing the semantics or logics behind the question, you were telling me that writing somewhere on a piece of paper sqrt(2) or 1.414 means the same thing.
Not at all, and that's not what I said.

Suppose you do some integration that results in [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. That is the exact answer. If you use some sort of device to evaluate this numerically, you will get 1.4142135623730950488016887242097 (maybe with more digits, maybe with fewer digits). That is an approximation.

If the instructions for the problem say that you do not have to evaluate your answer numerically or that you should not evaluate it numerically, then the right answer is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], not 1.4142135623730950488016887242097.

I don't follow you at all. Evaluating numerically an integral simply means putting a number on the RHS of the following line

Integral =

If on the RHS you put instead of a number the following text: <A blue-eyed lion which hasn't eaten people lately>, you don't evaluate the integral numerically anymore. :))

In other words, putting sqrt(2) in the RHS of Integral = means evaluating the integral numerically, rightfully or not, depending of course if sqrt(2) is the correct NUMERICAL value of the integral.

I drop out now, I don't think we're on the same page...

The word "numerically" implies approximation. In the examples I used, we evaluated the integral to get [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. If you leave the answer as a radical, you aren't evaluating the integral in the usual sense of "numerically". We evaluated it numerically to get 1.414.

Kawakaze said:
Ok, let's have one last stab at this. Its only 3 marks and its 1.20am so i know where my priorities are at the minute. (:

[tex]\int_{\frac{3\pi}{8}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sec 2x \ dx[/tex] = F(b) - F(a)

[tex] = \frac{1}{2}(ln(sec(\pi)+tan(\pi)) - \frac{1}{2}(ln(sec(\frac{3\pi}{4})+tan(\frac{3\pi}{4}))[/tex]

Uhm guys? That did make interesting reading but you kinda missed my reply tucked away at the end of page one :D

I think one thing is clear, if 2 people such as yourselves can't agree on the meaning of a question, then the question is written badly.

Last edited:
Hi Kawakaze! :smile:
Kawakaze said:

Mark44 :smile: is right …

they obviously mean you to evaluate sec and tan of π and 3π/4 because they're easy, but to leave any square-roots as they are

and they certainly don't expect you to evaluate the ln :wink:

(though if you had something like ln(√3), I'm sure they'd expect you to simplify it, to 1/2 ln(3))

Ok basically keep it tidy then? Like when you work with trig, and leave the root(3)/2 s as they are.

I submitted the paper today, so we shall see. Thanks again! I can't wait to see my result.

What is integration?

Integration is the process of combining different parts or elements into a whole. In a scientific context, it refers to the incorporation of new information or data into existing knowledge or theories.

Why is integration important in science?

Integration allows scientists to create a more complete understanding of a topic by combining different perspectives and evidence. It also helps to identify gaps in knowledge and can lead to new discoveries.

What is a missing link in integration?

A missing link in integration refers to a piece of information or data that is needed to fully connect or bridge two aspects of knowledge. It is a crucial component in creating a comprehensive understanding of a topic.

How do scientists identify missing links in integration?

Scientists can identify missing links through various methods such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, and reviewing literature. They may also collaborate with other researchers to fill in gaps in knowledge.

How can integration be applied in different scientific fields?

Integration can be applied in various scientific fields such as biology, physics, chemistry, and psychology. It allows scientists to connect different concepts and theories, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of natural phenomena.