Efficient Integration of Trigonometric Functions: Solving ∫ (1/sin 2x)dx

In summary: I would suppose that Math_QED was suggesting that you use u substitution with u = 2x . That does result in ##\ \frac12 \int \csc(u)\ du\ .## However, I would make a different suggestion.Simply use the double angle formula for sin(2x) to give 2sin(x)cos(x) .You get ##\displaystyle \ \frac12 \int \frac1{\sin(x)\cos(x)}\ dx\ .\ ## Then multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)} \
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
##∫ (1/sin 2x)dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let ##u = sin 2x, ⇒ du= 2cos2x dx##
or
##sin 2x= 2 sin x cos x##...[/B]

or
##∫ (1/sin 2x)dx = ∫( csc 2x)dx##

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
##∫ (1/sin 2x)dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let ##u = sin 2x, ⇒ du= 2cos2x dx##
or
##sin 2x= 2 sin x cos x##...[/B]

or
##∫ (1/sin 2x)dx = ∫( csc 2x)dx##

First, substitute the 2x. Then, notice that 1/sinx = sinx/sin^2x.

i don't get how is ## 1/sin 2x = sin x/sin 2x##? and what do you mean by saying substitute 2x?substitute where?

i have seen it...## 1/2∫cos u du ##= ( -1/2) ln cot x ## why is textbook answer saying tan x?

Last edited:
chwala said:
i don't get how is ## 1/sin 2x = sin x/sin 2x##? and what do you mean by saying substitute 2x?substitute where?
I would suppose that Math_QED was suggesting that you use u substitution with u = 2x . That does result in ##\ \frac12 \int \csc(u)\ du\ .##

However, I would make a different suggestion.
Simply use the double angle formula for sin(2x) to give 2sin(x)cos(x) .

You get ##\displaystyle \ \frac12 \int \frac1{\sin(x)\cos(x)}\ dx\ ../ ## Then multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)} \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(x)} \ .\ ##

Either will work.

I got an idea! Try

1= sin^2 x + cos^2 x and divide the fraction in two parts :)

Likes SammyS
chwala said:
i have seen it...## 1/2∫cos u du ##= ( -1/2) ln cot x ## why is textbook answer saying tan x?
Your question is not clear.

Do you mean that Math_QED's suggestion gives you ##\ 1/2∫\cos u\ du \ ?\ ## If so, then no, that results in ##\ 1/(2∫(1/\sin u)\ du) \ .\ ##

Furthermore, ## ( -1/2) \ln\, (\cot x) ## is indeed equal to ## ( 1/2) \ln\, (\tan x) ##

(Alex has a rather interesting idea !
Added in Edit:
Alex's idea doesn't work out the way I at first thought, but maybe it's still helpful, maybe not.)​

Last edited:
Likes physics user1
S (sin^2 x + cos^2 x)/ sin(2x) dx= 1/2 Stanx dx + 1/2 Scotx dx

Then just integrate tangent and co tangent

Cozma Alex said:
S (sin^2 x + cos^2 x)/ sin(2x) dx= 1/2 Stanx dx + 1/2 Scotx dx

Then just integrate tangent and co tangent
I assume you use S for ∫ .

OK!

Yes, that is very cleaver !

@Cozma Alex 's answer gives another way to do ## \int \csc x~dx## that I have never seen before. The usual way is to multiply the integrand by ##\frac{\csc x + \cot x}{\csc x + \cot x}## and let ##u = \csc x + \cot x## to get a ##-\frac {du} u## form. I have never liked this method because if you can remember what to multiply by, you might as well just remember the answer. So now, thinking of Cozma's method, if you need to evaluate ## \int \csc x~dx## just let ##x = 2u## to get$$
\int \csc x~dx = 2\int \csc 2u~du = 2 \int \frac 1 {\sin 2u}~du$$Then use Cozma's method in post #8. Admittedly it is a bit of work, but I like it :-).

Likes physics user1
LCKurtz said:
@Cozma Alex 's answer gives another way to do ## \int \csc x~dx## that I have never seen before. The usual way is to multiply the integrand by ##\frac{\csc x + \cot x}{\csc x + \cot x}## and let ##u = \csc x + \cot x## to get a ##-\frac {du} u## form. I have never liked this method because if you can remember what to multiply by, you might as well just remember the answer. So now, thinking of Cozma's method, if you need to evaluate ## \int \csc x~dx## just let ##x = 2u## to get$$
\int \csc x~dx = 2\int \csc 2u~du = 2 \int \frac 1 {\sin 2u}~du$$Then use Cozma's method in post #8. Admittedly it is a bit of work, but I like it :-).
Yes. I agree!

As far as I can see, this doesn't work so nicely for integrating sec(x). The only way I could get that integral to work in a similar fashion was to use the co-function identity along with u-substitution.

##\displaystyle \int \sec x \,dx=\int \csc \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right) \,dx ##

Likes physics user1
nice discussion...looks like there are different ways of doing it...i would vouch for the double angle way...

I would just use the identity $$1/sinx=cscx$$

Thanks Midget any particular reason?

chwala said:
Thanks Midget any particular reason?

the integration of that identity is $$ln|cscx-cotx|$$.
There are different proofs for it you can do. The nicest one is using an identity to rewrite cscx, then replace it in the integral. The longer way, without knowing the trick, is to do parts.

SammyS said:
Simply use the double angle formula for sin(2x) to give 2sin(x)cos(x) .

You get ##\displaystyle \ \frac12 \int \frac1{\sin(x)\cos(x)}\ dx\ .\ ## Then multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)} \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(x)} \ .\ ##

Either will work.
By the way, since Alex's method works so nicely, I didn't follow up on this.

Saying to multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)} \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(x)} \ ## was a bit misleading although technically correct.

Rather multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\displaystyle 1 }{\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)}\ } \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\displaystyle 1 }{\frac{\ \cos(x)}{\cos(x)\ }} \ .\ ##

For the former this gives: ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{2} \int \frac1{\sin^2(x)\cot(x)}\ dx\ ##

##\displaystyle = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{\csc^2(x)}{\cot(x)}\ dx\ ##​

This is easily handled with u-substitution.

nice one Sammy..

LCKurtz said:
The usual way is to multiply the integrand by ##\frac{\csc x + \cot x}{\csc x + \cot x} ##
It is? I've always done it by multiplying top and bottom by sin(x), converting sin(x)dx to -d cos(x) and writing the denominator as 1-cos2(x). The denominator can then be split using partial fractions to produce two integrals with solutions like ln(1+/-cos(x)).

haruspex said:
It is? I've always done it by multiplying top and bottom by sin(x), converting sin(x)dx to -d cos(x) and writing the denominator as 1-cos2(x). The denominator can then be split using partial fractions to produce two integrals with solutions like ln(1+/-cos(x)).

Heh. By "the usual way" I mean the way I learned it back in the '50's. :smile:

Another way
$$
\int \frac{dx}{sin(2x)} = \int \frac{dx}{2sinx~cosx} = \int \frac{dx}{2cos^2 x~tanx} = \begin{bmatrix}
t = tan x\\
dt = \frac{dx}{cos^2x}
\end{bmatrix} = \frac{1}{2}\int \frac{dt}{t}= \frac{1}{2}ln|t| + C = \frac{1}{2}ln|tan x| + C
$$

1. What is the purpose of integrating ##1/\sin 2x##?

The purpose of integrating ##1/\sin 2x## is to find the area under the curve represented by the function, which can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of the function.

2. How do you integrate ##1/\sin 2x##?

To integrate ##1/\sin 2x##, you can use the substitution method, where you replace ##2x## with ##u## and rewrite the function in terms of ##u##. Then, you can use the trigonometric identity ##\sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1## to simplify the integral and solve for the antiderivative.

3. What are the limits of integration for ##1/\sin 2x##?

The limits of integration for ##1/\sin 2x## depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve. In general, the limits should correspond to the interval over which you want to find the area under the curve represented by the function.

4. Can you use integration by parts to integrate ##1/\sin 2x##?

No, you cannot use integration by parts to integrate ##1/\sin 2x## because the function does not have a polynomial term that can be differentiated.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating ##1/\sin 2x##?

The integration of ##1/\sin 2x## has many real-life applications, such as calculating the average speed of a moving object, finding the period of a pendulum, and determining the amount of work done by a variable force. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and model various phenomena.