1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of ##1/\sin 2x##

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##∫ (1/sin 2x)dx##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    let ##u = sin 2x, ⇒ du= 2cos2x dx##
    or
    ##sin 2x= 2 sin x cos x##...

or
    ##∫ (1/sin 2x)dx = ∫( csc 2x)dx##

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

First, substitute the 2x. Then, notice that 1/sinx = sinx/sin^2x.

4. Jul 1, 2016 #3
    i don't get how is ## 1/sin 2x = sin x/sin 2x##? and what do you mean by saying substitute 2x?substitute where?

5. Jul 1, 2016 #4
    i have seen it........## 1/2∫cos u du ##= ( -1/2) ln cot x ## why is textbook answer saying tan x?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. Jul 1, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would suppose that Math_QED was suggesting that you use u substitution with u = 2x . That does result in ##\ \frac12 \int \csc(u)\ du\ .##

However, I would make a different suggestion.
    Simply use the double angle formula for sin(2x) to give 2sin(x)cos(x) .

You get ##\displaystyle \ \frac12 \int \frac1{\sin(x)\cos(x)}\ dx\ ../ ## Then multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)} \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(x)} \ .\ ##

Either will work.

7. Jul 1, 2016 #6
    I got an idea! Try

1= sin^2 x + cos^2 x and divide the fraction in two parts :)

8. Jul 1, 2016 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your question is not clear.

Do you mean that Math_QED's suggestion gives you ##\ 1/2∫\cos u\ du \ ?\ ## If so, then no, that results in ##\ 1/(2∫(1/\sin u)\ du) \ .\ ##

Furthermore, ## ( -1/2) \ln\, (\cot x) ## is indeed equal to ## ( 1/2) \ln\, (\tan x) ##

(Alex has a rather interesting idea !
    Added in Edit:
    Alex's idea doesn't work out the way I at first thought, but maybe it's still helpful, maybe not.)​

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  9. Jul 1, 2016 #8
    S (sin^2 x + cos^2 x)/ sin(2x) dx= 1/2 Stanx dx + 1/2 Scotx dx

Then just integrate tangent and co tangent

10. Jul 1, 2016 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you use S for ∫ .

OK!

Yes, that is very cleaver !

11. Jul 1, 2016 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Cozma Alex 's answer gives another way to do ## \int \csc x~dx## that I have never seen before. The usual way is to multiply the integrand by ##\frac{\csc x + \cot x}{\csc x + \cot x}## and let ##u = \csc x + \cot x## to get a ##-\frac {du} u## form. I have never liked this method because if you can remember what to multiply by, you might as well just remember the answer. So now, thinking of Cozma's method, if you need to evaluate ## \int \csc x~dx## just let ##x = 2u## to get$$
    \int \csc x~dx = 2\int \csc 2u~du = 2 \int \frac 1 {\sin 2u}~du$$Then use Cozma's method in post #8. Admittedly it is a bit of work, but I like it :-).

12. Jul 1, 2016 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. I agree!

As far as I can see, this doesn't work so nicely for integrating sec(x). The only way I could get that integral to work in a similar fashion was to use the co-function identity along with u-substitution.

##\displaystyle \int \sec x \,dx=\int \csc \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right) \,dx ##

13. Jul 2, 2016 #12
    nice discussion...looks like there are different ways of doing it...i would vouch for the double angle way...

14. Jul 5, 2016 #13
    I would just use the identity $$1/sinx=cscx$$

15. Jul 5, 2016 #14
    Thanks Midget any particular reason?

16. Jul 5, 2016 #15
    the integration of that identity is $$ln|cscx-cotx|$$.
    There are different proofs for it you can do. The nicest one is using an identity to rewrite cscx, then replace it in the integral. The longer way, without knowing the trick, is to do parts.

17. Jul 5, 2016 #16

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, since Alex's method works so nicely, I didn't follow up on this.

Saying to multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)} \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\cos(x)}{\cos(x)} \ ## was a bit misleading although technically correct.

Rather multiply by either ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\displaystyle 1 }{\ \frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)}\ } \ ## or ##\displaystyle\ \frac{\displaystyle 1 }{\frac{\ \cos(x)}{\cos(x)\ }} \ .\ ##

For the former this gives: ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{2} \int \frac1{\sin^2(x)\cot(x)}\ dx\ ##

##\displaystyle = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{\csc^2(x)}{\cot(x)}\ dx\ ##​

This is easily handled with u-substitution.

18. Jul 5, 2016 #17
    nice one Sammy..

19. Jul 18, 2016 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is? I've always done it by multiplying top and bottom by sin(x), converting sin(x)dx to -d cos(x) and writing the denominator as 1-cos2(x). The denominator can then be split using partial fractions to produce two integrals with solutions like ln(1+/-cos(x)).

20. Jul 18, 2016 #19

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Heh. By "the usual way" I mean the way I learned it back in the '50's. :smile:

21. Jul 19, 2016 #20
    Another way
    $$
    \int \frac{dx}{sin(2x)} = \int \frac{dx}{2sinx~cosx} = \int \frac{dx}{2cos^2 x~tanx} = \begin{bmatrix}
    t = tan x\\
    dt = \frac{dx}{cos^2x}
    \end{bmatrix} = \frac{1}{2}\int \frac{dt}{t}= \frac{1}{2}ln|t| + C = \frac{1}{2}ln|tan x| + C
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted