1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of 3 lnx/x

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Can anybody help me out with this?

3lnx/x du = ( ? ) dx. What is the question mark? Leave no spaces in your answer.

I thought u was 3lnx, which would be make it 3/x dx. Apparently not. Can anybody show me the right way of doing this sort of problem please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2
    Are you trying to solve for u? If so:

(x/3lnx)dx = du

You can integrate both sides, the left by integration by parts, I think will work.

4. Mar 3, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That really makes no sense without knowing how u depends on x. Why did you "think u was 3ln(x)"? Are you leaving out part of the problem?

5. Mar 3, 2008 #4
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just copied and pasted the problem. The question was 3lnx/x, and I just needed to find the first part of the problem. The professor wanted us to "find u, and take it one more step." I thought that step was differentiating u. All I really need is what would be in the brackets with respect to dx.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then knowing that the derivative of ln(x)= 1/x should help you! 3ln(x)/x dx= 3(ln x)(dx/x). I would incline toward setting u= ln x. What is du now?

7. Mar 3, 2008 #6
  8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    should be 1/x dx precise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?