Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of 3 lnx/x

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Can anybody help me out with this?

3lnx/x du = ( ? ) dx. What is the question mark? Leave no spaces in your answer.

I thought u was 3lnx, which would be make it 3/x dx. Apparently not. Can anybody show me the right way of doing this sort of problem please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2
    Are you trying to solve for u? If so:

(x/3lnx)dx = du

You can integrate both sides, the left by integration by parts, I think will work.
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That really makes no sense without knowing how u depends on x. Why did you "think u was 3ln(x)"? Are you leaving out part of the problem?
  5. Mar 3, 2008 #4
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I just copied and pasted the problem. The question was 3lnx/x, and I just needed to find the first part of the problem. The professor wanted us to "find u, and take it one more step." I thought that step was differentiating u. All I really need is what would be in the brackets with respect to dx.
  6. Mar 3, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then knowing that the derivative of ln(x)= 1/x should help you! 3ln(x)/x dx= 3(ln x)(dx/x). I would incline toward setting u= ln x. What is du now?
  7. Mar 3, 2008 #6
  8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    should be 1/x dx precise.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?